Sunday, March 18, 2007

I'd like to thank the Academy...

In the movie "America's Sweethearts," Allan Arkin plays this granola guru with crazy sayings (Life is a cookie, for example) who teaches John Cusack to name the things he is grateful for when life gets harried. I think this is a good idea, however, I do not think simply being thankful is enough. In the end, we all have Someone to be thankful to. There are so many moments for which we all are grateful, and yet I fear that we rarely say thank you to the appropriate parties. It would be a shame to simply lump all good things together and say, "I thank God for being good to me." (Though not to acknowledge this would be shameful as well.) So I want to specifically acknowledge some of the things that I am grateful for.

1. I thank Sloan for doing all of my laundry, making sure that I have sugar-free stuff in my fridge, and for uncomfortably cuddling with me in my hospital bed.
2. I thank Nurse Donna for teaching me how to use the bedpan all by myself like a big girl.
3. I thank Nurse Khristine for making me laugh, helping me with my knitting, and just being the all around bestest nurse in the whole world. I thank her too for telling me my belly is cute.
4. I thank Drs. Tidey, Murray, Troyer, and Love for their understanding of a mom's need to see her baby and supplying Sloan and me with over 20 different ultrasound photos.
5. I thank William, Sarah Grace, Caroline, and Natalie Johnson for drawing me loads of pictures to decorate my room with. And thanks to my great sister-in-law, Pam, for mailing them to me.
6. I thank Kate and Lee Cross, Chris McMahon, Heather Oberle, and my parents for bringing me soft toilet paper.
7. I thank the Hale family for bringing me loads of books and a computerized Sudoku game.
8. I thank Steve and Marti Shelby for bringing me communion.
9. I thank Sonya and Blair Collins for working on Henry's nursery and also John and Kaden Reece for putting Henry's crib together.

I know there are more people I need to thank out there, but they're playing the music and this gold statue is a lot heavier than it looks...

1 comment:

H said...

I can't believe you can write all of that laying on your side. YOu are getting good at this.

I have to say thanks for making me smile and encouraging me with a sweet positive spirit in the midst of what could be a very difficult time. Say hello to Henry!