Sunday, May 30, 2010

People are Strange...

We are on our way back home from the beach.  Despite the fact I'll be sleeping in my own bed tonight and expect my new Droid to be waiting for me, I am a bit sad.  It was nice having nothing to do but be together.  Over the course of the week, Gracie went from wobbling while sitting up to being able to sit up unasisted for entire afternoons.  (Sand is a big help.  So is hour upon hour of tummy time while on the beach.)  She has also begun the backwards scoots and up on all fours gyrating that is a precursor to crawling.  Sloan is trying to show her how to crawl while I am encouraging her to be immobile for as long as possible.  

But, the last bit of beach quotes come mainly from other people, or our reactions to other people.

Overheard while I was standing in line at the Red Box Movie Rental at the Piggly Wiggly (which Henry calls the Pig 'Tore.)  It should be noted that I had to bite my bottom lip and cross my legs in order to refrain from laughing and peeing in my pants.

Woman 1:  Oh my gosh, do they have "Dear John" in?  I just can't wait to watch it. 
Woman 2:  I'm not sure.  Have you seen "The Last Song"?  I just loved it.
Woman 1:  The only thing better than Nicholas Sparks movies are Nicholas Sparks books.  Don't you agree?
Woman 2:  I think Nicholas Sparks is the greatest novelist of the 20th century.

At this I could not contain myself.  I laughed in their faces and tried to disguise it as a cough.  I really wanted to say "You've GOT to be kidding me.  You mean to say Nicholas Sparks is a better writer than Hemingway?  Fitzgerald?  Lee?  I'd even accept Theodor Geitzel.  Heck, I'd even give you John Grisham before Nicholas Sparks."  I find it as a mark of maturity that I said nothing.

*********

Yesterday, at the beach.  I've titled this section "I hold this truth to be self-evident".

Elizabeth:  I just think that if you are over 60, overweight, and have a  hairy stomach with a clearly marked happy trail, you should not wear a bikini.
Sloan:  So you're saying it is okay for me to wear a bikini now since I'm still in my thirties?

1 comment:

Kristie said...

Oh my. Nicholas Sparks?? You're right, John Grisham beats him out hands down. Is this what American culture has come to???