Monday, May 12, 2008

He ain't safe, but He is good...

This morning, taking advantage of Lolly napping, Henry and I went out to the sun room to play. As we were eating cars and building things with blocks, I heard a crack, and then the next thing I see is my skylight and bits of tree raining down on my son's head. I was stunned. He was screaming. But okay. Not quite sure what to do, I picked up my screaming son and went into the kitchen to check him for wounds. He had sticks in his hair, but shockingly, there wasn't a scratch on him. Nothing that a few goldfish couldn't take care of. I, on the other hand, was a wreck. I called Sloan and then proceeded to talk to the insurance company. As I type this, Trey, our regular handyman, is hammering away, already replacing the offending skylight before the further predicted rain begins.

It was a giant living tree from our neighbors yard. It broke through the fence (which makes taking Lolly out to the backyard a bear as she HATES her leash. I've resigned to just letting her go in the kitchen until the fence is fixed.)

The more I think about it and all of the "what could've happeneds" I am amazed at both the power and finesse of Jesus. It takes a tremendous amount of strength to pull a living, about 60 foot tall oak tree out of the ground. I'm estimating it took about half of the strength it takes God to teach me that He really loves me and for me to hear it and take it to heart to do this. But it takes incredible finesse to knock down a tree and have it fall on a roof, roof of a sun room that is entirely made of glass, and to only yank on a gutter and knock out a Plexiglas skylight, and then to have that skylight break on a toddler's head and for NOT A SCRATCH TO BE ON HIM!!!

Yesterday, our Pastor preached from Hebrews on the discipline of the Lord. How no one likes the word discipline. It always has negative connotations and we always, incorrectly and sinfully, assume that discipline comes when the Lord is displeased. Yet Scripture tells us that God disciplines those whom He loves. As Steve put it, He loves us enough to cause us pain. (Yeah, I know. What a great Mother's Day sermon. It was one of those ones that made me say, "Awesome. Suffering. When's lunch?"

You might think that it would've been better for none of this to have happened. That that would have really shown me God's love for me. But have you met me? Do you know how hardheaded and stubborn and disbelieving I am? Had this not happened, then I pretty much would've had a normal day for me. Changing diapers, going to play group, waiting for Lolly to poo outside. But instead, I've spent the day hugging and kissing my son, grateful he is okay. I've spent the day praising God that no one was hurt. I've spent the day reflecting on the fact that Someone strong enough to rip trees from the ground is gentle enough to keep my family from harm and willing to move anything to show me HE is for me and cares for me.

So I'd say, that despite the fact I had to have a glass of wine at 11 am to calm my nerves--it has been a pretty productive day in the Phillips household.

No comments: