Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What I Don’t Know Could Fill Volumes



While we’ve adopted before through Bethany Christian Services, international adoption is completely different.  The list of unknowns is daunting.

For starters, did you know that most Asian countries have weight limitations for people applying to adopt?  I told the woman at the agency, I’m prepared to make sacrifices, but are you really telling me I have to diet?  Thankfully, while I’m certain a diet would do me no harm, we pass the basic requirements for most countries. Pshew!  Can someone bring me a peppermint milkshake from Chick-Fil-A to celebrate?

Also the fact that I got a “Minor in Possession” ticket the very first day of college could also be held against me.  Even though the charges got dropped.  When we went through domestic, my case worker told me that it didn’t show up on my background check and that I could’ve left it off, but international checks are more invasive.  I think my funny story about how I mixed everclear with Crystal light and was headed to a frat party and simply turned around when I heard a male voice say, “Hey ladies,” will get lost in translation.  Never mind that Angie was carrying a full case of beer.  I’m the one with the darn MIP.  Is there a word in Mandarin for Crystal Light and stupid jerk-hole ALE officers?  What about “dumb freshman girl”?

We are thinking of adopting from Taiwan, for no other reason than I know someone who lives there.  And I figure I’d have an in onto learning about traditions and culture, as well as having another couple to hold our hands and pray for us and tell our child in Mandarin that we are their parents would be nice.  

But really, we have known lots of folks who’ve expected to adopt from China and switched gears at God’s leading to Ethiopia.  Or planned to adopt from Guatamala and ended up in China.  So while we do really feel a tug to Asia, we are open to pretty much any country that we qualify for.  (Because there are age limits, and length of marriage requirements and stuff that differ with every country.)  And also, Columbia is off the list as well because they require at least one parent to stay in country for 9-12 weeks.  And while my sister has offered to take my two for the 7-10 days required by most Asian countries, I think a trimester of my two troublemakers would be a bit much.

But we’ve put in our preliminary application.  Which basically is just our information so that Bethany can then tell us what countries we “fit”.  And because I’m crazy, upon filling out my preliminary application sent to me by my local case worker, I also called the corporate office to speak to the main person in charge of international adoptions.  (Apparently the auto response email I received telling me I’d be contacted in 2 business days wasn’t enough for me.)  

Yeah, I’m that person.  I’m sure I’ll be a delight to work with.  J  Good thing I’m already friends with my case worker.  (Though I did have to "de-friend" her on FB.)

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Well gosh, I really hope you end up adopting a kid from Taiwan. Mostly because I love Taiwan. And there are lots of orphans here. But also because there isn't really the risk of getting a stollen baby like there is in China. Don't get me wrong, I love Ethiopian orphans too. But anyways, come to Taiwan and get a baby!

Elizabeth Johnson Phillips said...

I think we'll actually be heading to S Korea. Not sure, but just a hunch.