Monday, November 14, 2011

More than Watchmen Wait for the Morning


I think I’ve mentioned here that I don’t like waiting.  Not in restaurants.  Not for children to find their shoes.  Not for meetings with social workers.  But most particularly, I do not like to wait for God.  

Things have come up in our adoption process that make it clear that waiting is what God wants us to do.  Not stop.  Not back away.  Just in a “Hold on, I’m doing something” sort of way. 

And apparently, I don’t trust God enough to just. sit. still.

I’ve been running around like a chicken with my head cut off.  Telling people the situation and saying, “I know, crazy, right?  What do think God is doing?  What do you think God is doing?”  And each and every time people have told me what I already know.  God is doing something.  We just don’t know what.  

We ARE willing to do whatever God wants from us.  Be that an international special needs adoption or something different a little closer to home.  We just. Don’t. know.  At all.

Henry keeps talking about his younger siblings as though he knows something.  I told a friend yesterday, “You know, if God is going to use a person to speak to us, I’d prefer an adult.  Perhaps my pastor.  Can it at least be someone who is not constantly picking their nose?”  She replied that God adores using the least likely people to do His work.  You know, like sending babies to save the world and all.  

I’d told her I’d prefer a talking ass to my son.  She commented that that would probably confuse the issue.  And scare my children.  Or make them want to watch Shrek.  Again.

Clearly, when I would prefer to listen to the advice of Eddie Murphy rather than wait on the Lord, I need to repent.  

We trust that His word will be a lamp unto our feet.  Not a talking donkey or some giant rotating spotlight saying, “God’s over here!!!  God is moving this way for a limited time!!!”  God does not uses inflatable monkeys to indicate his movements.  Through the Holy Spirit He uses Scripture, His people, and the arrangement of events.  

And all three of those are saying to us, take smaller steps and wait.  God is doing something bigger here than you’re expecting.

  Psalm 130
1 Out of the depths I cry to you, LORD;
2 Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive
   to my cry for mercy.
 3 If you, LORD, kept a record of sins,
   Lord, who could stand?
4 But with you there is forgiveness,
   so that we can, with reverence, serve you.
 5 I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits,
   and in his word I put my hope.
6 I wait for the Lord
   more than watchmen wait for the morning,
   more than watchmen wait for the morning.
 7 Israel, put your hope in the LORD,
   for with the LORD is unfailing love
   and with him is full redemption.
8 He himself will redeem Israel
   from all their sins.

2 comments:

Ali Foley Shenk said...

12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

Philippians 2:12-13

the reppard crew said...

Isaiah 40
28 Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God,the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. 29 He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. 30 Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; 31 but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

xoxo