Monday, December 1, 2008

This Charmed Life

I spend a lot of time complaining...

I don't get to sleep in anymore. My kitchen floor needs mopping. I hate cooking and apparently I signed up for KP duty in sharpie. My hair is about an inch too short. The rain makes it a pain to get to the gym. I want to lose weight but I also want to eat my entire birthday cake by myself. I feel guilty that I'm half way to eating the cake by myself (it's my grandma's chocolate chip pound cake)! I wish Henry would sit down once in awhile. And maybe learn to change his own diaper. And brush his own teeth. And put himself to bed. My husband travels a lot. I want a baby. Specifically a pink one. Lots of my friends are pregnant. My 43 year old sister is pregnant. With her 8th kid and for some strange reason, she won't promise to give me the baby if it is a girl.

But then, God blesses me with reality. The weekend before Thanksgiving I went to a fabulous wedding. The wedding was so awesome it took 2 states to contain it--Pennsylvania and Delaware. While hanging out at our friend's house before the wedding, my friend's father asked me a question that I haven't been asked since my senior year in college.

Dr. C: So, Elizabeth. What are your dreams? Your long term aspirations?
EJ: Huh?
Dr. C: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
(Long pause)
EJ: Well, I guess more of the same.
Dr. C: Really?
EJ: Yeah. I like my life. So just more of the same.
Dr. C: Hmm.
EJ: And maybe to have a maid come once a week to clean my bathrooms.

I'm very thankful for Dr. C's pointed, albeit awkward question because it made me realize, that when it comes down to it--I've got everything I need. Actually, I've got everything I want. I'm content.

It's a new feeling for me. Contentment. Maybe I'm growing up. I am 31 now. Seems like it's about time....

2 comments:

Janell Cowley said...

Yeah, a new entry. I was on Elizabeth blogging withdrawl. I hope you are doing well.

Ann Long said...

Ditto Janell's comment - I was in withdrawal too. But you're back...and better than ever. I've missed you!