Tuesday, December 16, 2008

42 cents of validation

I just love getting Christmas cards. Like the number of my facebook friends, I see each card as a sign of my worth. The more cards I get, obviously, the more cool I am. I have each card received taped to the windows in our kitchen. Hopefully, I'll be so popular I won't see all of the leaves I've failed to rake in my backyard.


I particularly love the photo cards. So far, I have a tie between my two favorites. One is from a friend who, in addition to the pics of her kids being cute and smiling, has a photo of her son and daughter singing into a microphone. Her 2 year old son is in his pjs and holding the mic, while the 4 year daughter poses quite saucily behind him. I love this photo so much because it gives me a sense of their personalities. My other favorite card is from a friend who is pregnant. The card has three pics on it--one of the ultrasound, one of her and her husband, and one of the cat. This makes me laugh for several reasons. 1. Sloan's reaction. "Awesome. I was waiting for a picture of her uterus." and 2. I wonder if the cat will get equal billing next Christmas or will he, as I suspect, be excluded from the card. Maybe my friend can take a picture that captures what I imagine her reality to be like next year. A picture of her little one tormenting the cat. Or maybe a photo of her trying to coax her son or daughter out of the litter box.

I'm still a bit complacent about our Christmas card. I used the photo from the banner at the top of this blog. In my photo file, I have the photo titled, "hlovelylashes.jpg." It in no way captures Henry's personality. It makes him seem dreamy, contemplative, and lovely. He is lovely. But the only thing he really contemplates is which member of the creche party to dance with next. Were I to capture his personality it would look something more like this...

Or this...

But he is loving dancing to Christmas music. He has 2 new dance moves. He likes to take the baby Jesus out of the manger and then do "fast feet" and then put the baby back in the manger. I tried explaining to Henry that in order to avoid SIDS, we needed to place Jesus on his back. But most of the time, Jesus ends up face down in the manger. Or face down next to a donkey. He also does a move I like to call "Dizzy Sippy." Remember the game "dizzy bat"? Henry likes to dangle his sippy cup from his mouth and twirl around real fast. He does this until inevitably the sippy cup flies across the room and he falls down on his bum. He rolls around laughing, trying to get up to get the sippy, but is too dizzy to stand. I'm usually no help during this because I'm too busy trying not to wet my pants.

But sometimes Henry is tired of the Christmas music. We pretty much have the TV on all the time to Comcast's "Sounds of the Season." In addition to loads of traditional Christmas music, you also get to hear such classics as Faith Hill's "Where is Christmas?" and Melissa Etheridge's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)". With alternating holiday scenes of close up photos of sugar cookies, snowy trees, and an abandoned sled, Comcast also gives us great holiday trivia such as, "In Ireland, children blacken their faces to go caroling", and "traditionally, the trunk of the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree is given to the US Equestrian team to use as an obstacle." But angry that the TV was on and yet their were no moving pictures, Henry took things into his own hands. I (foolishly, I know) left Henry alone in the family room to use the bathroom. Upon my return, I heard blaring explosions coming from the family room. I found Henry sitting on the couch, remote control in hand, watching "Back to the Future III." He'd obviously turned the volume all the way up. But I had to hand it to him, it definitely was more interesting to watch than the music channel. And, because I was in desperate need of some cuddles and also because Back to the Future is such a darn good movie, we watched the rest of it. There were only 20 minutes left, but we still got to see a flying train, a car on fire, and some of the worst acting in Elisabeth Shoe's career.

No comments: