Friday, December 19, 2008

I'm a little Cliff Clavin, I know...

Henry wants to show off his interpretations of two of his favorite tunes... Frosty the Snowman.

Rudolph the Red-nosed reindeer. (He tripped and fell Nestea Plunge style into the driveway. Occupational hazard for a toddler. But he's a trooper as I think I got more upset than he did.)

And this week's Top Chef got me thinking about the carol "The 12 days of Christmas." I'm pretty sure I'd kill my true love if he gave me all that. Do you know how noisy it would be to own 23 birds, 17 women, and 33 men, particularly when 21 of those men are playing musical instruments? And just think about the mess. And the smell. No thank you. Give me the 5 golden rings and call it a day.
But in actuality, to give you a little more than you cared about Christmas trivia, the song represents the 12 days between the birth of Jesus and the traditional celebration of the Wise men's arrival--Epiphany (January 6). It dates back to the 16th century, when I suppose it was commonplace to give your love people as a present. Each day represents a church teaching, not just one songwriter's obsession with fowl. The meanings are as follows:
  • 1 True Love refers to God
  • 2 Turtle Doves refers to the Old and New Testaments
  • 3 French Hens refers to Faith, Hope and Charity, the Theological Virtues
  • 4 Calling Birds refers to the Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelists
  • 5 Golden Rings refers to the first Five Books of the Old Testament, the "Pentateuch", which gives the history of man's fall from grace.
  • 6 Geese A-laying refers to the six days of creation
  • 7 Swans A-swimming refers to the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the seven sacraments
  • 8 Maids A-milking refers to the eight beatitudes
  • 9 Ladies Dancing refers to the nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit
  • 10 Lords A-leaping refers to the ten commandments
  • 11 Pipers Piping refers to the eleven faithful apostles
  • 12 Drummers Drumming refers to the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed