Thursday, May 17, 2012

My Great Big Adoption Yard Sale

SATURDAY, JUNE 9th from 8-12.  
Corner of Smoketree and Poplar Ridge Roads. 
If you come before 8am, expect to pay full price!
100% of proceeds will go to our "Bring Charlie Home Fund!"  


Folks, it's happening.  What might be the biggest yard sale of the season.  We've been collecting stuff from friends and our parents for awhile.  This is super fun when you don't have a garage.  Our attic is now full and the junk fabulous retail items are now spilling over onto the second floor landing, random nooks and crannies in my living room, and (embarrassingly) under a giant blue tarp on our front porch.  (Stop judging me.  The tackiness is for an orphan people!) 

Stuff like this makes me equal parts energized and itchy.  Energized because I love the pricing and collating and haggling.  Itchy because it is like living in the midst of an episode of Samford and Sons.  (Which I suppose is fitting since my name is Elizabeth.)

As soon as I'm done hosting book club on Sunday, I will go into full on "my living room is now a sorting and pricing and storing station" for the yard sale.  Our church had a GIANT yard sale to provide preschool scholarships for refugee children and because the peeps on the preschool board love us and Charlie already, they graciously let us glean from the yard sale leftovers.   Large items have already been placed on Craigslist.  We are selling our extra "shed-fridge" tomorrow.  Apparently, we will have to do with less beer and ice cream to bring Charlie home. 

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

  • Do you have junk in your trunk?  Or closet?  Or under your bed?  Are your kids' toys multiplying?  We will gladly accept donations to sell as small as an ice cube tray and as large as a king sized bed.  It is important to have lots of $1-$5 items as well as furniture, strollers, etc.  If you need to meet me somewhere for a hand off, we can arrange that.   

  • Have some card or folding tables?  If you are willing to loan us tables upon which we can arrange things for sell, please label them and we can arrange a time for me to come and snag them up.
 
  • Do you want to really shape up your bum and work those quads?  Help me lug stuff down from the third floor into my living room.  Remember, I have Prosecco and many hands make light work. 

  • Do you love waking up early and driving to my house to hang out?  Yeah.  Didn't think so.  But I promise that there is a Dunkin' Donuts less than 5 minutes from my house and if you stop there on your way, there will totally be donuts here on the big day for you to eat while you come and help out at the sale.  We will need peeps to watch for shoplifting, haggle, etc.  And if you've never worked a yard sale, I encourage you to come.  I can guarantee you'll run into at least one person looking for guns, one man looking for LARGE women's shoes, and a woman who claims she is only "browsing" at 6:30 am.  For reals.  It is like all the folks who hang out at clubs with Stefon.
 
  • HELP ME MARKET!  Post about it on facebook.  Tweet about it.  Just please don't use our street number.  Simply list the cross streets.  Trust me, I'll have signage everywhere.

Our goal is to raise $2000.  We made $1700 with Gracie's adoption yard sale.  So it is completely doable.  

No comments: