Sunday, January 17, 2010

I blame Ann

I would like to say that I am the hostess with the mostess.  And maybe that is true if by "mostess" you mean gastrointestinal problems...

Friday, I watched my dear friend Ann's daughter Emily for the day.  Ann picked her up a bit early because Ann got sick at work.  Thus begins the story of the dozens of texts between my house and Ann's describing our sickness. 

Our beloved friends Jackie and Cary drove down from Baltimore with their two kids, Natalie (2 1/2) and Jackson (8 months).  We had planned a weekend of girl time, Wii time, and serious pajama wearing time.  I made yummy salmon for dinner on Friday night.  And then, promptly, around 9pm on Friday, I felt yucky.  By 10 pm I was in the bathroom, where I would spend most of Friday night.  And to be clear, having eaten salmon does NOT make one's vomit smell any better.  It does, however, make it pink. 

I stopped counting the times I puked after 16. 

On Saturday, I stayed in bed, not wanting to spead the funk.  I was very lonely, with no one to talk to save the texts from Ann.  Jackie and Cary took Natalie and Henry to the playground down the street, while Sloan stayed home with Gracie and Jackson.  Henry refused to eat his lunch and fell asleep while playing around 12:30.  This is NOT typical behavior for him.  Sloan started feeling queesy around 4.  Jackie and Cary decided to go home around 5.  Which is about the time I started feeling human again.  (If you don't count the fact that my neck and back are killing me and I'm almost positive I have a bruised if not broken rib.)  By the time I was out of the shower, it was 6 pm, my house guests had left, and the other three Phillips' were asleep in their beds.  Knowing Henry would be afraid if he did get sick, I bunked in with him and enjoyed some cuddles.  I am ever so glad he has a queen size bed.

Henry puked on me around 9 pm.  It was BRIGHT green.  And I was correct, it did frighten him.  But unlike my husband (and Ann's husband), Henry is a trooper.  A sick person extraordinaire.  As soon as I put him in the bath tub and brushed his teeth, he was all smiles again.  Puny and  cuddly, but all smiles.  And even happier when I let him watch Curious George while I changed his sheets.  Happier still when I brought the portable DVD player to bed and he got to watch Cars at midnight.  (Because he had spent most of the day in bed). He was such a great sicko that he earned a new Lego train. 

But now we are all fine.  Henry is napping, having spent the morning playing with his Lego trains and watching movies he picked out.  (It was a rodent themed morning--Over the Hedge, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and he fell asleep on the couch while watching G-Force.)

Sloan is feeling better and has gone on the road for work.

But Sloan did call me to say on his way out of town he saw a minivan pulled over on 288.  A mother was helping her 2 children puke on the side of the road. 

You may not want to come to Richmond.  Ann has gotten everybody sick.

No comments: