Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year's 2010

In the morning of New Year's Eve Day, Henry played with his Auntie Ann and girlfriend Emily while Sloan and I took Gracie in for her 2 month check up.  The great news is that she has gained so much weight that she can come off of the High Calorie formula that is uber expensive and gives her gas.  She weighed 12 lbs, 3 oz.  That's 75% percentile, folks.  She certainly is chunkaliscious.  However, she is only 3rd percentile in height.  We're resting in the fact that the pediatrician assures us this is the least scientific of all of their measurements.  But since we've just learned that her biological mother is a quarter Japanese and only 5'2'', it stands to reason that my baby girl isn't going to be too tall.  That's okay.  That's why God invented high heels. 

And that's right, I said Japanese.  It is has taken 2 months, but we finally had our first "oh, she must be adopted" moment with a stranger.  We were in Wal-Mart, Henry in the seat of the cart and Gracie in her car seat in the actual basket of the cart.  An African American women looked at Henry, commented on his long eye lashes and then looked at Gracie and said, "Oh, she's dark!"  Henry responded, "Baby Gwacie, I wuv her."  My response?  "Um......yeah?"  Then the lady proceeded to ask me what she was.  A baby?  As I pushed my cart past her I answered, "Japanese" and kept on going.

And to celebrate the fact that Gracie is part Japanese, thereby assuring her placement in a future Benetton ad, we went to Kabuto for dinner as a family to ring in the New Year.  (Okay, we had plans to do this prior to finding out about G's ethnicity.  But you'd better believe I'm going to play the 'sharing her culture' card when it comes to explaining why we just HAVE to eat Hibachi Shrimp so much.)  Henry cleared his entire plate of food.  I think he left three onions and half a mushroom.  According to Sloan, the poopy diaper the next day was one for the record books.  I was convieniently unavailable to help him out for that one.  One of my New Year's resolutions is to delegate more of the parenting to Sloan, mainly in the crappy pants category.

It should also be noted that I was 7 books shy of meeting my "read 52 books in one year" goal.  I blame Gracie. 

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

You inspired me to count. I was also just few shy of 52, 47 and 2 books on CD on solo road trips. Please do Goodreads!

Unknown said...

love that she is part japanese and love your response. it made this tired mom laugh out loud!