Tuesday, January 12, 2010

End of an Era

Today was the last "lunch bunch" ever and I am sad. "Lunch bunch" began soon after I had Henry.  I was lonely and lived minutes from our church.  And my friends, Ann, Shannon, and Robin worked at the church.  Often, when bored, tired, and/or deprived of adult conversation, I'd simply call up the church & ask who was going to be there at lunch time.  I'd pick up food at the Mediterranean Deli and we would all have lunch in the Church's conference room.  This was the beginning of the Henry Marshall Phillips Fan Club, my children having three Godly women who genuinely feel that they have some ownership of my kids, and quite possibly, the most important friendships of my adult, if not entire, life.  The first to quit working at the church was Shannon.  She went from serving the Hispanic community at our church to serving her twin boys, Will and Hudson.  Next to leave the church was Ann, who has gone from running the church to raising my daughter-in-law, Emily.  The last to go, is Robin.  Robin is moving on to better pastures in the financial world.  And I'm a wreck.  No longer will Robin get to be in my Bible Study group, nor will there be lunch bunch meetings.  We're commited to getting together for dinner once a month or so, but it will not be the same. 
Before the Fairy Godmothers came into my life,  I will admit there was a strain on my marriage.  My best girlfriend moved to Cali and then Dallas two months after Sloan and I got hitched and so suddenly Sloan was it.  He was pretty much my one and only friend.  To be clear, Sloan is still my bestest bestie.  I like him more than anyone on the planet.  Even more than I like myself.  And I like myself a lot.  But Sloan does not like to speculate about which are the nicest brand of fake Uggs--Wal-Mart, Target, or Kohl's (FYI--Wal-Mart's are more comfy but sometimes squeak).  Nor does Sloan think "I can't decide what to eat for lunch" is an appropriate reason to call him at work.  He also will not speak to me at length about my hair, accesories, or how smart I am.  He refuses to have entire conversations about Jim Halpert from The Office.  He seems to believe that Jim being a fictional character means that he is not real. 
Robin believes that Jim is real.  We talk about him.  Robin tells me I'm wonderful and always knows the right thing to say.  If you are upset because you have lost your wallet twice in one day, she will confirm that it really is that bad and even give you permission to cry.  She has the uncanny gift to encourage me in the trite snafus of everyday life that always seem to boggle me down. 
Like this morning.  I was so proud of myself.  Sloan is out of town and yet I still managed to sleep in, bathe, do my hair, dress cute, get the kids dressed and bathed, put the stroller in the car, and remember to pack all seventeen bags required to get this family to Bible Study.  (OK, not 17.  But I AM a bag lady--2 diaper bags, a bible bag, and a purse.)  And I do all this running about 15 minutes early!  Yeah, I am awesome--the most efficicent and responsible mom person in the world!  Then I pull up to Dunkin Donuts and order my Latte Lite with 2 Splenda and a box of Munchkins to take with me for the ladies.  I pull up to the drive-thru window.  I even have a dollar off coupon!  I am on fire this morning!
BUT.......
I do not have my wallet. 
So at the DD window, I'm clawing through my purse (which is really just a bag full of receipts, chapstick, and matchbox cars without a wallet), the diaper bag, and my bible bag.  Nothing.  So I have to just say, "Sorry" and drive off.  When I get home--the wallet is nowhere to be found.  A lot of times it gets left by my computer from having ordered something.  Nope.  Nowhere.  And now I'm running about 20 minutes late.  Remembering I had to have had it to go shopping yesterday, I get in the car and start calling.  Booyah!  I left it at Wal-Mart and they are holding it for me at Customer Service. So now, even though I'm running late, I have to take the kids out of the car in the windy 30 degree weather and take them into Wal-Mart.  Henry demands to carry with him into Wal-Mart 2 Lightning McQueens, a Lightning McQueen book, and a lizard.  With only 2 hands to hold all that stuff and crying to be carried by his Mommy, Henry was having a rough go of it. 
So, I call Robin to let my group know that while I will be late, I will be there.  I tell Robin of the Wallet debaucle.  Of how I'd been so proud of myself and here I go again leaving my wallet at Walmart.  What was Robin's response? 
"Oh, EJ.  Losing your wallet was the dumb thing you did yesterday.  Today you've been awesome.  You can totally still count yourself as having it all together.  You found your wallet!"
"Well, I really have been sort of a super sleuth, haven't I?"
"Oh my gosh, yesterday's you should be paying today's you for how smart you are."

Yesterday's you should be paying today's you for how smart you are.

This is why I love me some Robin.  May you all have besties as good as mine.

4 comments:

the reppard crew said...

So sad to say farewell to "lunch bunch" and to Robin! You are SO right about her thoughtful way of turning your day around. I LOVE that about her.

Hope to see my Gracie soon!

Robin said...

So, I had totally made a conscious decision today not to cry b/c I knew that if I started, I may never stop. Thanks for ruining that, EJ! :) This is such a sweet post. I'm super excited about our dinner dates!! We still have so much fun hang out time to look forward to.

Love,
Auntie Robin

Ann Long said...

Now I'm crying too!!! Boo hoo hoo!!! "End of an Era" is right, but man, we have some stories to tell from that era!! Love to you all,
Auntie Ann

Jennifer said...

Jim Halpert IS real.