Monday, October 19, 2009

Make new friends...

I'm not good at making new friends. I tend to overshare. And that is being generous. Old friends are so precious to me because they understand that I really do need to talk about my bodily functions, my husband's cute heiny (really, you oughtta take a look at it sometime!), adoption, and God all within the same sentence. This is how I roll. I'm just a take it or leave it kind of gal.

So what a delight to meet someone new so unexpectedly. This morning, because I was going batty with a boy who has been climbing the walls (both figuratively and literally) after four days of rain, we headed out to Inflation Nation. It is essentially a warehouse full of all things inflatable. We were one of about 5 families there and all had toddlers.

Well, Henry was about to kill this little girl. He was pushing her in a Little Tykes car ever so sweetly, and yet, because she was only a year old, she was slipping out of the seat and about to lose her head. This is how I met Jamie--apologizing to her. Awesome. Well, about ten seconds later I am telling her how we just finished our home study process and are simply waiting to be selected by a birthmother. In truth, I felt pretty confident that she'd understand this answer to the question, "Is he your only child?" because she is white and both her girls are African American--I mean, I had a fifty-fifty chance of finding another adoptive parent, right? Well, low and behold, not only is Jamie an adoptive Mommy, but she and her husband used Bethany as well and even the same social worker.

So we chatted about their adoption process, about the great things God has been doing in our hearts because of our children, and simply that having toddlers is difficult. What a joy is was to bounce and slide with our children. (By the way, I am really old. I pretty much had a heart attack bouncing around inside a monkey. I couldn't chase after my son who was attempting to scale a giant ladder by himself because I was doubled over attempting to catch my breath. But as a side note, slides are fun.) Then we all headed over to McDonald's for lunch.

What a treat! New friends and McDonald's french fries. Does it get any better than this?

1 comment:

Courtney said...

How awesome that you found a new friend who has been down the exact path that you are just now heading down yourself!!

And I must say I'm a wee bit jealous that you made such a great friend, because I too have a hard time making new friends. I don't know what it is, I just have a hard time "clicking" with friends...or maybe I'm just too judgmental. No way, that can't be it. It's not me, it's definitely them.