Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ennui

This is a second attempt at this post. I first wrote a really long one comparing the differences between novels and movies and how everyone wants their life to be like a movie rather than a novel. Becuase in good novels no one runs in the rain with a boom box to tell you they love you and I'm pretty sure that is what we all secretly believe we deserve. In books you get entire chapters about the landscape in Egypt. Guess what? There is a lot of sand. But the post bored me to tears.

In my sister's house, and some others I hear, to say you are bored is the ultimate sin. Bored? Really? Go clean your room. My mom told me that only boring people are boring, something I was pleasantly surprised to hear repeated on the show Mad Men. But my problem as of late has not been that I don't have things to do--there are four laundry baskets of clean clothes that need to be put away, the kitchen could use a mopping, Henry's room needs to be repainted, and there are baby clothes to be sewn for all my dear pregnant friends. But I don't wanna. And even facebook is letting me down. Apparently, I'm not the only bored one because no one has been having any good status updates as of late.

I'm sure a lot of this is just the change in the seasons. I've been sick so I can't go to the gym or rake the leaves and I have an extra 7 hours a week sans Henry now that he is in school. The fact that it is 50 degrees outside and raining is no help.

I resorted today to roasting pumpkin seeds and baking pumpkin bread. From scratch, with no recipe. Daring, eh? Snoozefest. (Though, surprisingly, the bread turned out well.)

I feel sort of like those chapters in the Bible with all the begats--Seth begat Enosh and had other children and then he died. Enosh fathered Kenan who begat someone with a crazy name. Yada Yada Yada. But I am reminded that a)life is like a book--it has highs and lows and meanders a bit like a dog on a walk, and b)God was there for all that begatting and took notice enough to include it. So even the boring bits bear His presence and matter. The fact God notices and cares about the boring stuff lets me know He really does love me because of who He is, rather than who I am. Because I am pretty boring.

So maybe life as a book won't be so bad. Books are always better than movies.*



*Unless they are both by Nicholas Sparks, in which case, they both suck. Spoiler alert--someone falls in love, commits adultery and/or gets a disease , and then dies.

2 comments:

erin said...

1. i have been introduced to man men while on bed rest, and i LOVE it. glad to hear you watch it.

2. i happen to know a lot about boring lately. thank you for the reminder that God is there and cares about the boring parts.

3. can i have a piece of your pumpkin bread? sounds yummy!

Jackie said...

I enjoy reading your posts, however, this one struck a cord with me. Be glad that life is boring and not "exciting" with something to worry about such as an ill family member or a loss of a job. When I feel like the mundane chores of life have rubbed me raw I remember that these are the good parts of life and that we should find joy in them.