Friday, April 10, 2009

If Jesus Had a Farm...

Henry would be the shepherd.
Maybe because it is Easter, or because the Tarheels won and our Ramses porch flag is flying, or maybe because we live near a couple of farms, but sheep and lambs have replaced Dogs as the pickle's favorite animals. We'll drive down Huguenot trail, and suddenly I hear "Baa Baa" at increasing volumes as we pass by the sheep. I point out the cows, which get a disinterested "moo", followed very quickly by the boy's loud bleats.
This has also led me to introduce the never-annoying song "Barbara Ann." I'll sing a round of it, and then Henry will go "Baa baa baa, baa baa baa Ann." We even sang it this morning in The Fresh Market, to the delight of the cashier.
My favorite little lamb sounds came last night at our church's Maundy Thursday service. Normally, Henry is in nursery during big church. But since there was no nursery provided, Henry was strapped in his stroller, armed with goldfish, a fire truck, and some color wonder markers. We learned quickly why we keep the pickle in nursery.
The boy is a talker. Particularly when his mommy is a reader. So I'm up on the chancel reading scripture. From Exodus about Passover. And every time I say lamb, sheep, or goat, I hear a "Baa" from Henry. It took every ounce of power not to laugh. (Like I did later in the service when he belched during the prayer.) It was also very sweet when, while the elements were being passed and the hymn had been sung, Henry and another baby began to chirp at one another. You'd hear "Ahhh" from Henry. "Ahh" from somewhere behind us. Then the shushing of the two mothers. Then Henry started laughing, which made a bunch of others start laughing.
I think the chirps,the laughs, and even his little bleats are fitting. They are the noises of the people of God. And at least at my church, we're a noisy bunch.

No comments: