Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bring back the fro...

Gosh I love my friends. Even, and maybe even especially, when they're so different from me. This video was made by a high school friend of mine that I re-befriended as an adult. She and her husband Rich were there when Sloan and I met. Rich was Sloan's personal beer caddy at our wedding reception and saved me from having to dance with a scary old man. And they are so liberal. (I remember watching the 2004 Olympics with them at Smith Mtn Lake and Rich wanted to give a do-over to a swimmer who had too many false starts!) And I love 'em for it.

But our friendship is a testimony to what is great about America--we can have a glass of wine and talk about politics and religion and disagree and laugh and see things from a different point of view and at the end of the night, remain friends. No shouting matches, name calling, or label giving. Just an appreciation for thought out belief systems strong enough to stand up for. And an appreciation for a good glass of wine. We musn't forget the wine.

1 comment:

GBR said...

NEVER must we forget the wine, sweet friend!

What a post and yes, a testimony to true, lasting, and authentic friendship. I so value yours and Sloan's perspectives: the ways you all have been raised, what has formed you etc.

I know I have a lot to learn, so being challenged by friends who care deeply, who are passionate about their faith, and who love wine and all things preppy just as much as we do is simply a gift!

Both Rich and I will always love you all and are so grateful to be a part of your story.

Cheers to lasting friendships that no politics can divide!

Now, about that 'fro... :)