Tuesday, November 11, 2008

12 minutes 32 seconds

Is approximately how long it takes....

  • For my nose to start running uncontrollably on my morning run.
  • For me to complete one mile.
  • For saying "Where's Henry?" and then "There he is!" over and over to get old while he covers and uncovers himself with a blanket in the jog stroller.
  • For my Ipod to drop on the ground a total of three times and then begin to skip.
  • For me to realize that "Paint it Black" by the Rolling Stones is the best song to run to EVER. But not when your Ipod stops it suddenly and then throws you into the Beastie Boys' "Sabatauge."
  • For me to wonder how the Pinball Wizard really got so good. I mean, who can play pinball with their sense of smell?
  • For the arch of my left foot to begin to throb.

And then, at about 18 minutes and 12 seconds...

  • I realize that I haven't looked at my watch in about six minutes. (I check to see how long I've been running.) This is a world record.
  • To contemplate walking. Because now the arch in my right foot is beginning to throb.
  • Henry is mad that I'm no longer playing peek-a-boo with him because I can't talk.
  • I become fully aware that I'm leaning into the jog stroller and without it, I not only wouldn't be able to keep running, but probably would die. Or at the very least, fall over and have to scream, "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up."
  • Decide that I can keep running. I'll get home faster because now I've got to pee.

And, finally, at approximately 30 minutes and 34 seconds...

  • The Beach Boys "God Only Knows" comes on. And I've just turned back onto my street. Wait a minute, I've just run 2 and a half miles. So I decide to start walking because I need to "cool down."
  • Recognize that while I could run home, I can't walk. My feet hurt too much. And then there's the whole pee issue. And my calves are killing me.
  • I can play peek-a-boo again. And when Henry sees our house ahead, he throws off the blanket with glee. I have to stop to pick the blanket up off the ground. I fall over. And just sit in the road for awhile. A neighbor comes to get her mail, so I make it look like I've just stopped to stretch. In the middle of the street.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

YEAH! Good for you and your running! And I agree...it's really strange how you can run, even with some pain, but then when you stop to walk, it's suddenly impossible. I think when you're running your legs sort of get going and just propel you forward, but when you're walking, you really have to make the effort to walk.

And there you have my oh so insightful musings on running...