Monday, October 3, 2011

The Hangover 3: The State Fair


So about a month ago I saw on Facebook this special for the State Fair.  $11 a Season Pass.  And regular day passes cost $13.  So it was a steal.  And because we felt rushed last year, we decided to divvy it up.

So for those of you that Henry did not tell last week, Friday was animals and tractors and Heritage Village (aka where there is lots of Ox poop).  Saturday was rides.  And because the story really is in the pictures...here we go.

Gracie owned the Young McDonald's Farm.  She mooed the heck out of a long horn steer.  She baaad the lambs silent and clucked at the chickens.  At one point she was reaching out and touching the long horn.  Henry's favorite part of the farm?  Watching a calf be born.  He kept talking about how the cow was coming out of the Cow's tummy.  It was awesome.  And gross.




Henry loved the tractors.  Can you tell?

And because we are awesome parents, we rode the rides on Saturday.  And when I say we rode the rides, I mean we freakin' got there when the Amusement Park Section opened at 11am and left when it closed at 10pm.  We got unlimited wrist bands for the entire family.  Praise God Grace's was free as she is not a fan of rides.  She is, however, a fan of food on a stick.  So she was happy.  We are so blessed to have a daughter who is flexible and happy even without a nap and being forced to stay up until 10.







Midway through the day, my shoe broke.  

 

I was just walking along, looking for a turkey leg, and BAM!  My shoe broke.  I tried to ignore it.  But I was like a hobo.  At one point, I stuck my finger in the slot and could touch my sock.  Sloan asked how old the shoes were.  I responded, "Not old at all.  I got them my sophomore year of college."  Sloan said, "Soooo, they're about 13 years old."  I looked up and did the map.  Crap.  I'm old. 

And Sloan was really embarrassed to be seen with me.  He kept shaking his head and telling me I looked like a homeless person.  
So after we went to see the circus, we looked for some new shoes for Mommy.  I was envisioning myself stuck paying $200 for a pair of Garth Brooks roper boots.  Which would only be fair seeing as during car pool line on Friday, while swatting a fly in front of my face with his baseball cap, Sloan did this...

Yes.  He broke the windshield.  Because having to replace your windshield on the day your overworked husband takes the day off to be with you and the kids is totally how you want to spend your time and money.  And it's a lot less annoying than a fly in your car...

But I digress...

The bottom line was that I was SO thankful that there was a booth selling Dansko clogs in the little flea market area.  I'm really not the type of girl who needs two pairs of cowboy boots plus a pair of Frye biker boots.  So I opted for a new set of brown clogs.  (Of course, I totally reserve the right to buy the red cowboy boots I have pinned on my "Gotta Get This" board on Pinterest.) 

All that said...I can say this.  Turkey legs are awesome, but there is no way to eat one even remotely ladylike.  So don't even try.  Also, if you should decided to get the Fried Kool-Aid (aka Oreos dipped in Cherry Kool-Aid batter and fried), you need to split it.  After the second yummy cherry chocolate ball, you'll want to puke.  But you'll want to get your money's worth and you'll try to eat a third.  And a fourth.  And then just give up and toss the last two.  That's okay.  Just buy a giant fresh squeezed lemonade to cleanse your pallet.

And let it be known, that I AM OLD.  18 hours at the State Fair in two days rendered me hungover on Sunday.  Like the day after Halloween on Franklin Street hungover.  Seriously.  I checked our closet for a baby and our bathroom for a Tiger.  It would not have surprised me if I had a tattoo on my face.  It hurt to blink.  My head was throbbing.  I could barely walk.  My toes hurt. It hurt to wash my hair.  It took Sloan and I giving each other pep talks about how it was Communion Sunday to get to church.  Only the promise of an order of queso dip from Casa Grande and an afternoon nap moved me forward.

And just in case your cuteness quota has not been met yet...I give you this.





 ****Also, let me just state that we are rodent free.  Just wanted to clear that up and say that Mr. Mike our handy Terminex guy is a stud. 

1 comment:

Amanda K. said...

turkey legs ARE awesome. ya know they sell them at virginia tech games? (ironic? yes)