Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Thing Adoption Can't Fix

As I write this on my Ipad, I am sitting in the waiting room of my gynecologist. I came back for an ultrasound to check on my IUD. Because, well, because I've been bleeding since I got it. (For those of you counting, that's about 7 weeks of bleeding. Perhaps this is how Mirena works as birth control?) I was lying on the table, knees up, watching my ultrasound on the screen above. The tech was poking and prodding, measuring and snapping. And suddenly, without warning, my ears were wet. I was crying. Because there it was on the flatscreen--my empty uterus. My empty, improperly working uterus. I'll never again see the flickering jellybean of a heartbeat or the giant headed birdlike crrature that would be my 12 week old child. Don't get me wrong. I HATED being pregnant. 11 weeks of a bedpan? No, thank you. And I truly, truly, truly believe our family is complete. Were we to add to it, it would most certainly be through adoption. But adoption is a cure for childlessness. Adoption can't cure infertility.

4 comments:

Law Momma said...

I love you, empty uterus and all. You were meant to be Gracie's mommy... and if your uterus were full, she might have missed out on that. (not that it helps.)

Hugs.

Kristie said...

Praying for you, friend.

Ali Foley Shenk said...

I'm imagining something I could say that would make it better, take the pain away, lift the burden. I'm not sure what. Praying. Peace. Love.

erin t said...

e- i've been struggling with many of the same thoughts the last few weeks. right there with ya friend! love- the other e