Monday, April 9, 2007

Happy 12th Birthday Caleb!

First, I want to send a big birthday shout out to my nephew, Caleb. Happy Birthday!

I am in much better spirits today. I spoke with Dr. Murray and she had thought I had been only having 2 showers a week thus far and wanted me to go back to that. When I told her, no, I'd been having three a week since week 27, she gave me back my third shower. So today, I have smooth legs and clean curly hair. She also has given me strict orders to eat cake at my baby shower in two weeks.

Dietary has also been getting my meals correct today. Usually about three times a week my meal gets messed up and they send me something carborific and slathered in sugar that I can't eat. Well, adding fuel to the fire yesterday was that every meal was messed up. And when they send the wrong thing it usually takes about 45 minutes for my nurse to remind the cafeteria of my order and then receive. And I've always been snippy when hungry and pregnancy doesn't help. So at 6:45 last night, when she brought my correct dinner, the cafeteria worker tried to explain to me how it was my fault my meals were messed up.

"Maybe you don't understand how to fill out the menu or how it works. Are you new?"
"Umm, no. I've been here 2 months."
"Wow. That's a long time."
"Yeah. And I figure it's about time for y'all to get my meals right."
"You are filling them out wrong. Even though the first day is Sunday, we don't look at it until Monday so the Sunday is actually next Sunday."
I paused. "Hmm. First of all, that is asinine--which means it's stupid. In the Western Hemisphere, we read from top to bottom and left to right. You have Sunday at the beginning of this menu. If you mean for Monday to be the beginning of the week, Monday should be at the top. Secondly, by your backwards logic, I should be receiving today last week's menu's Sunday's meals." I pull out that menu. "This is not what you sent. I'm diabetic. I'd never order French Toast with maple syrup. Or macaroni and cheese."
"Oh. Well. You need to learn to write the menu."
Now, in my mind, I want to say to her Listen you greasy haired tongue ringed cafeteria worker, I've been stuck here in bed for 2 months. You work in the cafeteria. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who is at fault here. Instead I said, "Um, no. I don't think it's that."

Yeah, I know. It wasn't very Christian of me. But it felt great to be a bit snippy. I also finally cracked open my bar of Sugar Free Dark Chocolate. It rocked! So if you happen to be at Westbury Pharmacy and see the GuyLian fine Belgian dark chocolate No Sugar Added--feel free to bring me some chocolate. Studies show that dark chocolate reduces your risk for heart attacks, strokes, and in my case, mental breakdowns.

No comments: