Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Real Conversation

Clearly, my son is not also reading the children's version of 7.  Or making any plans to give up HFCS anytime soon...

Henry:  You know what, Mom? 
Me:  No.  What?
Henry:  I like cupcakes.
Me:  You do?  I did not know that.
Henry:  My favorite thing about cupcakes is eating them.
Me:  That makes sense. 
Henry:  They are a good food to have at parties.
Me:  Yes.  You are right.  Cupcakes are good to have at parties.
Henry:  Chocolate cupcakes are my favorite.  With chocolate icing.  But, you know, sometimes I have to eat cupcakes that aren't my favorite.  Sometimes I have to eat yellow cupcakes with white icing. 
Me:  I'm pretty sure you don't HAVE to eat the cupcakes.
Henry:  Yes I do.  If there are cupcakes there, I have to eat them.
Me:  I understand the logic, but again, you don't have to eat the yellow cupcakes if you don't want them.
Henry:  YES I DO!!! 
Me:  Okay.  Okay.  You can eat the yellow cupcakes even though they aren't your favorite.
Henry:  Wait. a. minute.  We have cupcakes?  Where are the cupcakes?
Me:  We don't have any cupcakes. 
Henry:  BUT YOU SAID I COULD EAT THE YELLOW CUPCAKES!!! 
Me:  If I let you play with your Leapad will you stop talking about the cupcakes we do not have?
Henry:  Yes!


(Fifteen minutes later, screaming, because he likes to wear headphones while he plays with his Leapad)

Henry (to no one in particular): I BET IF I ATE THREE CUPCAKES I WOULD GET SICK.

No comments: