Tuesday, January 17, 2012

He Loves Me


Sometimes I am so overcome with love for my kids that I MUST swoop in and get their attention.  I kneel down, take one of their tiny faces in my hands, put my nose to their nose and say, “I love you.  I’m glad you are mine.” Then I kiss them on the forehead and send them on their way, possibly with a gentle tap on the rump.  Mostly, this is met with Gracie going limp in an attempt to wriggle away or Henry trying to avoid my gaze by rolling his eyes back into his head.

This morning, my friends, Jesus took my face into his scarred hands, and gently whispered to me, “I love you.  I’m glad you are mine.”  ­

Today was my first morning back for the semester at my women’s bible study.  And we have a new woman in our group.  This woman…

wait for it…

wait for it…

has a special needs son adopted from China.  As she sat with her boy cuddled up in her lap on Orphan Sunday in our Fellowship Hall,  God used this woman to turn Sloan’s heart to desire a special needs son from China.  I knew who she was and had, of course, stalked her and “friended” her on Facebook (I may have a problem, I know), but now I get to KNOW her.  To be a sister to her and she to me.  To learn from her how to pray for our Charlie and for our hearts.  

And if that is not enough to show you how precious my little family is to Jesus, her son will soon be 4 and guess what he just loves to play with?  Trains.  Like he loves trains so much we may have sung the Thomas theme song together.  Oh, and did I mention she is also a doctor and has offered to help us sort out all the special needs?  Yeah, now Jesus is basically starring in a De Beers commercial with me.  I know.  I know.  I’m trying not to be embarrassed about it…

Sometimes God’s love is like a blinding light and strikes you down.  Sometimes it’s a slap to the face to knock some sense into you.  Sometimes it hurts like the cauterization of a wound that can't heal on its own.  Sometimes it is a quiet hush of song.  But sometimes, it’s so dear and tender and personal th­at if I close my eyes, I can still feel His nose on mine.

No comments: