Sunday, January 15, 2012

Adoption Update

Sorry for the delayed posting.  I've basically been running some type of sweat shop, crafting non-stop.  I may or may not have roped Henry into the workforce, telling him he is helping bring his little brother home.  So every afternoon when Gracie goes down for a nap he asks, "Can I help you make things to bring Charlie home?"  Mainly, he presses the power switch for the heat gun on and off.  He's a boy, so he likes buttons...

Anywhoozie, we have the interviews scheduled.  The first in a couple of weeks, and then a week full of them the week of Valentine's Day.  Babysitters are lined up!

Why the wait?

Well, remember how I talked about that stupid Minor in Posession ticket I got the first day of college?  Yeah, well, turns out it did put a chink in the chain that added time.  I had to get a clearance letter from the police saying that I did not have a criminal record.

Also, note to those who may want to adopt in the future.  If you bust your hump getting your paper work done before Christmas, realize that basically everyone on the planet takes off work between Christmas and New Year's, so there will be fewer people to process your files.  Also, since you have to get clearance from every state you've ever lived in since you were 18, maybe not move around so much.  Or marry someone who has lived in 7 different states since graduating high school.

I've been having to relearn patience.  In a big way.  I keep reminding myself that yes, waiting is a bear.  But I wait in a nice home in a country that is free.  My son waits in an orphanage in a country under the thumb of Communism.  Does he have nannies who love him?  Who take notice if his forehead is warm?  Who sing to him so he eats all of his meal that I probably can't even pronounce?  Does he have adequate medical care or is he simply one of many orphaned little boys, abandoned because when you're only allowed one child, less than perfect boys are left in stairwells and gates and hospitals in the hopes of getting it perfect the next time around?  Is he cold?  Is he too hot?  Does he know he has an older brother who prays for him every night and has even starting talking about all the trains he will "let" you play with?  I want to yell loud enough to China, "He's not an orphan!  He is my son!"

Oh, Charlie.  We wait.  We pray.  We cry.  We pray some more.  We adore you and we are one day closer. 

No comments: