Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Friend Tracy is Awesome...Really Awesome


Remember my awesome friend Tracy who guest posted awhile ago?  I wanted to follow up with an update regarding the abundance of generosity shown by her and many others.

This past Sunday, about a dozen of my friends came over for some bubbly and snacks and for some sweet time together for my 31 Party and Adoption Fundraiser.  I shared a bit about our adoption process, the huge need for adoption of special needs little boys in China, the associated costs and also fielded general questions about orphan care and adoption.  Then my friend Tracy, the 31 consultant who is also a Foster mom, did her schpeal.  

We had a blast.  We learned which friend of mine you should go to if ever you need a tampon because she basically stores them in a 31 duffle bag in her car.  Every single bag we looked at, she remarked, “Ooooh, that’d be great for tampons.”  Never mind it was a rolling suitcase.  This is why I love her and am determined to get to know her better.  I mean, sense the surgery and all, that hasn’t really been a need of mine (can I get an AMEN!), but I just love someone who can talk about “ladytown” at the drop of a hat.  (Ladytown being another term we learned at the party…)

Anywhoozie, the party was a big success!  Between the folks who ordered online and came to the party, it was Tracy’s BIGGEST PARTY EVER.  She sold over $1400 worth of purses, coolers, stationary, and luggage.  I earned close to $300 worth of free bags which I will get to auction off for The Plum Panda. WOOT!  (So if you missed the sale, you may be able to score something cute for less than retail!  I ordered some of the best sellers for my freebies.  So make sure to like The Plum Panda on Facebook and check for updates to the Plum Panda Blog in the coming weeks.)  

Additionally, Tracy donated to our adoption fund 100% of her commission.  100%.  She did all this work and prep simply because she loves me, our family, and our little Charlie.  How much did we raise?  

DRUM ROLL PLEASE…….

$365.

Folks, that’s a lot of money.  17 people in 2 states bought items to help us bring our boy home.  I am overwhelmed at the generosity of people.  (So if you live in the Richmond area, I’d love it if you would consider hosting a 31 party for her where she can actually make some money.) 

Additionally, I set up my Plum Panda goods and sold a picture frame, a necklace, ALL of my hair clippies, and have a couple special orders already placed.  At the end of the day, between Plum Panda and Tracy’s generosity, our adoption fund just grew by about $550.



My friends are awesome.  God is awesome.  And He is doing something pretty incredible right here before my eyes.  Thank you to everyone who contributed.  It will be such a treat to one day share with my son all the folks whom God used to bring him to us.  They say it takes a village to raise a child.  Sometimes, it takes a village to give a child a family.

No comments: