Friday, December 16, 2011

The Plum Panda


I promise that every upcoming post will not be about adoption fundraisers.  That said, I do plan to announce my new avenue to raise funds and to invite you to join in.  

I have created a facebook “shop” where folks can “buy” items by donating to our adoption fund at AdoptionJourney.Org.  I will be making picture frames, yarn wreaths (because I’m kinda addicted to felt flowers), and bows.  I’m sure there will be other crafts for sale as well as time goes.  As items are made, they will be posted on the site.  Items can also be commissioned for personalization. 

Folks have been sending me coupons to various craft stores and even donating items like paint, ribbon, and yarn to help the cause.  It’s been humbling to see how many folks are already loving our child.

Some folks have also generously offered their gifts, talents, and vacation properties to help the cause.  These items will be auctioned off after the New Year.  (Mainly so I’m not ignoring my kids during Christmas.)  Just to tease you, here are some items that have already been donated—some beautiful handmade pottery, some graphic art from an artist in Austin, TX (so you know it’s wicked cool), a photography session in Dallas with a professional photographer, and two one week stays at a Lake front beach condo in Litchfield By the Sea, SC.  So yeah, your family’s beach vacation could help bring an orphan into a forever family.  And that is just what people messaged me about in 15 minutes last night.

SO PLEASE OH PLEASE, LIKE “THE PLUM PANDA” ON FACEBOOK and invite your friends to as well.  Please share this post on facebook and twitter and click the “Like the Plum Panda” button in my sidebar.  

And oh yeah, why the Plum Panda?  Well, because we are adopting a special needs child from China.  And the Chinese are believed to be the first to cultivate plums and you’ve been living under a rock if the whole Pandas are from China is news to you.  Also, let’s be clear…how cute is a purple panda?  And my cute purple panda crafted by the generous Ali Fogarty?  A. Door.  A. Bull.

And why not just ask for donations?  Well, for one there is the whole people judging us thing.  And making things is a way for me to relax and be productive while patiently waiting on the Lord to do His thing to bring our child home.  But even more than that, I believe that it takes a village.  And that my family is part of the larger family of God.  And so this holy village will do great things in His name and for our child.  So it is an invitation to be a part of what God is doing.  Perhaps you have a talent we could auction off?  Perhaps you have a small business you’d like to promote?  Or perhaps you’d like to get a custom handcrafted item for a wedding present or baby shower?  Or perhaps you don't have money, but you'd sure love to help and you also like to cook.  Well, I can tell you people would probably be willing to donate $15-20 for you to deliver them a homecooked meal one night.  Everyone is gifted by God with something.  I'm simply asking you to honor Him and bless an orphan with the gifts you've been given.  (Forgive me if that sounded a little too Jim Baker/PTL for you.  It did for me.)

From time to time, I will feature some items on this blog in a feature called “Fundraising Friday”.  And there will always be a link to the Facebook page on this blog.  And, when I get the time, I’ll have another page on this blog or perhaps another blog devoted to it.  

Won’t you join us in seeing God at work? 

No comments: