Thursday, October 21, 2010

Do you like Sweet Jams?

Unless you grew up with me, there are things about me you do not know.  I have skills.  And by that I mean that I can make a mean mix tape and a mean magazine cut out collage.  The collage thing has blossomed into some self-proclaimed awesome decopage art presently hanging in my house and a bunch of chic picture frames.  My best work, however, was the 3 x 5 foot collage that hung in my college apartment and now presides in the closet of my childhood bedroom.  Should you ever find yourself needing a thoughtful ransom note, I'm your girl.

And the mix tape mastery has evolved into some singularly sensational playlists.  Building a good playlist, like most of the good things in life, requires strategy, momentum, and an editing eye.  You have to suppress the desire to lead off with your favorite songs.  You have to leave some of the best for the end.  You have to think, particularly when building a party playlist, what will people be doing right now?  Is this good mingle music?  At what point when folks be relaxed enough to really get their groove on?  And you also have to find awesome tunes to breathe to.  It can't all be Jamiraquai and Madonna.  You have to throw in some Slowtown (you know, easy Motown) to let people hold hands, grab another drink, and what not.

Ladies and Gentlemen, without further ado, I give you Gracie's Birthday Party Playlist.  (It is quickly becoming a favorite here in the Phillips house.  Many of the songs are the songs we like to jam and sing to.  Some of them just fit with how we feel about G and the One who gave her to us.  Also, please note, that some of the songs were by Henry's request.  These will be denoted by an asterisk.  And yes, it is Stevie heavy.  We like it that way.  He is the Phillips family patron saint of 'Get Your Groove On'.)

The G. Love Party Experience
I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch), Four Tops
3 Rs, Jack Johnson
Sweet Heaven When I Die, Blue Dogs
I Get Around, The Beach Boys
Signed, Sealed, Delivered, Stevie Wonder
Lucky, Jason Mraz
Beat It, Michael Jackson
Upside Down, Jack Johnson*
Celebration, Kool & the Gang
Just Dance, Lady Gaga
Mess Around, Ray Charles*
I'm So Glad You're Mine, Al Green
Isn't She Lovely, Stevie Wonder (Which causes Henry to excitedly yell, "Gwacie, Gwacie! It's your Stevie Thunder Song!  It's Your Song!)
Ain't Too Proud to Beg, The Temptations
Africa, Toto
Beautiful Day, U2
Brown Eyed Girl, Van Morrison
I Was Made to Love Her, Stevie Wonder
Rescue Me, Fontella Bass
Single Ladies (Put a Ring on it), Beyonce
Sweetest Thing, U2
Saturday in the Park, Chicago
Put On Your Sunday Clothes, The Cast from Hello! Dolly* (Known as the Wall-E song around here...)
The Sharing Song, Jack Johnson
I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, U2
You Make My Dreams, Hall & Oates* (I have no way to explain this other than Ipod shuffle and Henry's liking of the Ooh Ooh part)
Jungle Boogie, Kool & the Gang
Overjoyed, Stevie Wonder
Reach Out I'll Be There, Four Tops*
Let's Stay Together, Al Green
Baby's Got Sauce, G. Love & Special Sauce
For Once in My Life, Stevie Wonder
I'm Yours, Jason Mraz
Do You Believe in Magic, Lovin' Spoonful
Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Marvin Gaye (Which Henry calls "The mountain song")
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Original Cast Recording*
My Girl, The Temptations
Magnificent, U2

2 comments:

Jenny Brock said...

Gray was wondering if he could have a copy of this playlist? Maybe in exchange for some photos? I'm just sayin'...

So sad to miss the party. Happy #1 sweet Graycie.

Courtney said...

I'm just going to go ahead and send you my iPod so I can have a copy of all your music, mkay?

And I thought about you today and said a prayer for perfect weather for your sweet baby girl's party. I can't wait to see pictures!!