Friday, February 26, 2010

4 months and fabulous

So Gracie had her 4 month check up with her regular pediatrician this past week.  Um, yeah, she's gained 1/2 pound in the past week.  So that puts her at 16 lbs, 15 1/2 oz.  (Or a whopping 17 lbs if you round up that last half ounce).  That is ABOVE 97th percentile.  She's also 24 1/2 inches long (50th percentile) and her head circumference is in the 50th percentile as well.  The doctor did not say we need to put her on a diet, but he DID say she needs to level off and try to gain just a pound a month rather than the 2-2 1/2 pounds she's been putting on.  Apparently, if she keeps gaining weight like she is it will impede her ability to develop physically--as in sit up, crawl and walk (the latter 2 I don't mind delaying).  So as we are to be introducing cereals and veggies, we are to take away her nighttime bottle.  She only wakes up for it half of the time anyhow, so the doctor suspects that it is more out of habit than caloric need.  Should she just desperately want a bottle, we can give her water.  Apparenly my fears of her needing her big girl car seat before she can sit up were not unfounded.  My sister assures me that I'll be able to prop her up in the grocery cart by wedging her between a blanket and my purse.  I've started Gracie on some core muscle excercises (aka the exersaucer) to help her out.  We're getting H's carseat a girly cover and hunting down a safe high backed booster for the Pickle.  (Because I just read that the 11 of the most popular booster seats have been put on the unsafe list by the Highway safety people.)
"The Sweetness" (as G is known to her Daddy), because of her growing, gets to wear several outfits a day.  We've grown to love dresses as they allow her to hit the buffet without having to undo a button.  (BIG shoutout to the Donovan girls--Lily, Eve, Ruby, Tess, Mollie and Erin--for the cute clothes.  Wore the pink dress to church on Sunday.  A dress so cute I don't even mind that I have to iron it.)  Today she is wearing fleece pants, a 9 month onesie, and a fleece hoodie vest (that is not unlike a sausage casing on her).  Sloan laughed at her outfit this morning, and I guess he has a point: why does a 4 month old need a vest, much less a vest with pockets and a hood?
Henry has enjoyed playing with her in her gym as she now coos and talks to him.  Henry is very into investigating noises as of late, so she's a hit with him.  Although he did ask to hold her the other day and about 3 seconds post lap placement he shrieked, "Off Gwacie!  You're heavy!"  Poor Grace.  Henry also enjoys "being siwwy."  This includes putting Gracie's Bumbo seat on his head and telling me he is "Darf Vader".  I'll try to capture this on film, but his Silliness does not like to pose for the camera. 

Thank you to all of you who emailed me or commented in order to encourage me with the biting.  So far, we have been bite free this week (or at least since Sunday).  He talks about his boo-boo less and less and it is always in the context of "Papa (what he calls my dad) fixed my boo-boo.  Papa is doctor, Mommy.  Did you know that?"  Yes, Henry.  I knew that.  Except he doesn't give most of his patients $5 for visiting him--apparently that is just for grandkids.  (Although with 14 grandkids that IS a lot of patients!)  He has been working on his manners in always saying "No, Thank you," "Yes, Please", "Yes/No Sir/Mam"--(although it is mostly NO SIR!), and even saying "Pardon me" when he burps.  In fact, yesterday, during breakfast, I burped.  He looked at me and said, "Pardon you, Mommy". 

2 comments:

the reppard crew said...

that nekked picture of her makes me want to squeal!

mollie said...

now that i see miss G-love i'm not sure the other outfit will snap around her belly. i'm in love.