Thursday, June 11, 2009

Voices in my head

The following Gollum-esque conversation just occurred in my head.

Voice 1: Ugh. The floor is nasty. I hate mopping.

Voice 2: Yes. You need to mop. It seems it is that time of the quarter again.

V1: Has it really been that long since I've mopped?

V2: The last time you mopped was for Henry's birthday party.

V1: That's not so bad.

V2: That was April. It is now June. Do the math.

V1: Ugh. The floor is nasty. I hate mopping. Maybe I can get away with just vacuuming.

Vacuum kitchen floor. Twice.

V2: The floor is still pretty gross.

V1: I think if I had a better mop I'd enjoy this more. I saw a cool one on TV.

V2: You've used this argument before. And your problem does not lie with the mop.

V1: I wish I had a maid.

V2: People saving up for adoptions do not have maids.

V1: I know, I know. But maybe I could get someone who would clean our house in exchange for free room and board.

V2: You mean, like, oh, I don't know--a slave?

V1: Well...(Pauses) I don't like the term slave.

V2: But you are wanting someone who will work for you for free. That's called a slave.

V1: I'll be really nice and we have a brand new mattress in our guest room.

V2: Nice. So free room. I'm assuming by board you aim to feed this slave? With what? Leftover take out from Casa Grande?

V1: No. I was envisioning buying groceries with which this person could cook.

V2: So a maid and a cook.

V1: Yeah.

V2: What will you be doing?

V1: Taking Henry to the pool. Buying the groceries. Blogging about the voices in my head.

V2: You do know that in the time it has taken you to type this you could have already mopped the kitchen.

V1: Shut up.

V2: Don't tell me to shut up. You're the one who wants a slave...

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Yes, please, I think I'll take a maid, too. I often think, especially around Christmas, about telling all my family and friends not to buy me any presents ever again and only give me gift certificates to a local maid service. I mean, really...my birthday is in August, then there's Christmas, so if I could swing this I may never have to clean my house again...

Ali said...

i needed a good laugh. you always come through for me. thank you!

The Little Bear said...

I just have to say-- me, too. :-)