Monday, June 15, 2009

There's a lot more where I came from...

I come from a long line of awesome people. The kind of people who have awesome names like Houston, Coolidge, Gerline, and Gaines. The kind of people who know all the words to Rocky Top and can play a mean game of Corn Hole. We're the Johnsons. And we know how to have a good time.

This past weekend, we all gathered in Tennessee at my cousin's house for a good 'ol BBQ eating, family reunion. My great-grandparents, Willis and Hazel Johnson, had 6 kids, and this was the gathering of all of their descendants. Only one of the original children is still alive, my GREAT (and I mean GREAT) Uncle Coolidge and his wife Edna.
When I was in middle school, my best friend Meg and I visited Coolidge and Edna during Spring Break. (Note to self--ask my parents why they took me to a retirement community for spring break.) But while we were there, they let us drive their golf cart, toss all their pool furniture into the pool, and even took us to the fanciest French restaurant I've ever eaten in during my entire life. (Whether or not this is actually true, I'm not sure. My 13 yr old self's opinion may be a bit skewed. But they did give me a pillow for my feet and a rose.) And can I just say, that for a man in his eighties, Uncle Coolidge is still as good looking as ever. Aunt Edna is a lucky woman.
For my readers in Tennessee, you may recognize my cousin who hosted the Reunion. Let me take a moment to name drop and brag on my family. Pictured above is the Lt. Governor of the great state of Tennessee, and my 2nd cousin, Ron Ramsey. He is the first Republican Lt. Governor for Tennessee in 140 years. And also for my Tennessee readers, he is running for Governor in 2010. I don't know much about Tennessee politics, but I do know this--when Ron prayed for our meal, it was genuine. Yeah, I know he's a politician and trained to speak in front of people. But as someone who is an expert in judging people, I can tell you that this is a man who is comfortable talking to God. And I think that seems like something that is lacking in politicians.
This is my beloved cousin, Andy. He and Sloan have entered into a full blown bromance. In this photo, Andy is asking my opinion about whether or not giving his 20 month old son, Gaines (seriously! awesome name!), a Coke will make up for the fact that the reunion interfered with nap time. I suggested he stick with Sunny D and cookies.


Sloan chasing around Henry. Henry disrupted many games of Corn Hole, threw rocks into the little water feature fountain in Ron's backyard, upended a trough, had to be fetched out of a cow pasture no less than five times, and came three feet away from climbing a barbed wire fence. Where was I? Taking pictures and yelling, "Sloan, go get Henry! He's heading back into the pasture again" while chatting with my cousins. Because there is one thing we Johnsons know and that is this--pick a good spouse and you'll fall in love every day. Nothing is sexier than watching your two men run around the hills of Tennessee (talk about being alive with the sound of music!).

2 comments:

dianna said...

Elizabeth - thank you for sharing some of our weekend. I am sitting at Lake Junaskla, at the United Methodist Conference in the same place or greatgrandfather would have sit for many years. What a wonderful legacy we have been given and I hope our children willone day too say "what an awesome family we have!"
Dianna Dishner Cantler

Anonymous said...

Now that you mention it....that Sloan is relentless! No longer did I get back to work Monday and he's sending 5 emails to set up the next date. Elizabeth, can't you manage his time better??
What a day; beautiful weather, priceless stories and family that's, well, better than your best friends! Can't wait till the next one to see how many more kids we'll have running into fences and dumping boulders into Ron's fountain.
Here's to the strong & tall Johnson Family Tree....