Saturday, September 20, 2008

BLUE DOGS!!!!!

Thursday night we took Henry to Swinging on the Tracks at the Science Museum of Virginia to see the totally rockin' band, the Blue Dogs. Let me first explain the awesomeness of the Dogs. I first fell in love with them in Chapel Hill, along with my Green Street girls (aka my roommates) Lindsey, Beth, Jessica, Lindy, and Theresa. Many a night we could be found in a frat house or bar, hollering in the front row, doing the "Beth." "The Beth" is a dance that is fabulous--it consists mainly of standing still as to not spill your drink and shaking your hair about. Several times I danced along with a pint of Southern Comfort in my hand, only to hand it to the lead singer, Bobby, and then have it passed around amongst the band. I like to think that I'm known to them as the SoCo girl, but having asked them about my self-given nickname, I'm pretty sure they have no recollection of this. There also was an incident where The Blue Dogs were playing at the Cave where I danced like mad all by myself to the point where I cleared a large space in front of the band that coined the phrase "blue dog drunk" amongst my circle of friends. In my defense, I'd gotten in a fight with my boyfriend earlier that night. The fall after we got married they played in a bar in Richmond on the rainiest Thursday ever so there were maybe 12 people at the show. So we got to hang out with the band, talk to them, and make requests. There was even a kazoo solo by the drummer. So Sloan and I like to think we are the band's friends. (I'm pretty sure, however, by the blank stare they gave me last Thursday when I said Hello, that we are not. But in my mind, we're totally BFF.) Since then, we've seen them every time they've been in Richmond, which hasn't been enough.
So it was with much anticipation that I was finally able to take Henry to see the Dogs. We've been dancing to them in the living room for weeks and Henry has heard me sing "Make Your Mama Proud" and "What's Wrong with Love Songs" too many times to count. And it must be said that the Blue Dogs did not disappoint. I was a bit worried that he wouldn't like the loud noises, but he was enthralled. He couldn't take his eyes off Hank and his stand up bass. He thought the lights and the music were the best thing ever. And he loved dancing and twirling with me and Sloan, cackling until he had tears in his eyes. By about 9pm, he was so tired he looked like he too was "blue dog drunk," but then again, he walks like Frankenstein anyway. He has "the Beth" dance down, he's just holds a sippy cup of Milk rather than a cold 22 of Bud Light.
I was worried about how a show would be stone cold sober. But when I had Henry in my arms it was fantastic and I was twirling and shaking it just to get a laugh. I put him down and we'd spin and laugh and he'd run into me and motion for me to pick him up again. But when he'd dance with Sloan, I was suddenly aware that I was just standing there doing the white guy head bob. But because I'm a big tool, I of course took Henry to meet the band and even had his picture taken with the one Mommy has a wee bit of a crush on.

Henry just chillin' with his trucks before the show. (We had to trap him because he found another kid with a bunch of matchbox cars on a blanket and it made Henry angry that I wouldn't let him steal them. He even tried to put one in his pocket.)

The band starts up.Dancing with Daddy.

Mesmerized by the band. Maybe he'll be a musician one day.

Sweaty mommy and Henry pose with Hank Futch, Jr. (My favorite Blue Dog, the bassist. I like to think we're buds because he too has a son named Henry that is just a bit older than mine.)

No comments: