Thursday, February 21, 2013

Gollum, Repentence, and a craft project {an adoption update}



I am a member of several online groups of waiting adoptive parents.  Some specific to the Congo and some even specific to our agency.  It has been a great way to contain the crazy to a group of people who are equally insane.  We know the process, the procedures, the possible road blocks, so it is a great comfort to be in community with these men and women.  There is even a group of Congolese adoptive families in the Richmond area and we are hosting a pot luck get together at our house in March.  {What a gift THIS group will be in the years to come!}

But as much as these connections are a blessing, they are also, in my selfish hands, a curse.  With each post or email about another family’s progress, my heart sunk.  I would click “like” or post “Woot!” when inside I was screaming “WILL IT EVER BE MY TURN?  WHEN DO I GET MINE?”  

The jealousy crept in and festered.  We were hoping for an update about our case on Valentine’s Day.  By Saturday, with no update, I had convinced myself that these adoptions were never going to happen.  We were wrong.  We were wasting money and our time and our hearts and OH MY GOSH the people who bought our old house bought a new minivan and if we weren’t adopting I’d have already put 10k miles on a Swagger Wagon.  On Sunday, other adoptive Mommas posted about how they’d gotten new pictures, or there judgments were in translation, immigration papers were filed, or visas were issued and plane tickets were being purchased.  I clicked “like” and seethed.  

I confess that what I’m about to type is ugly.  Like “I’ll get you and your little dog too!” ugly.  This is what I thought.  Why do these people keep getting updates and I do not?  Why can’t anything ever be easy with us?  Really?  The time I was in labor for 11 weeks and almost died.  THAT was the easiest way for us to grow our family?  What the heck is God doing?  Or not doing as the case may be?  I gave up my friggin minivan and a beach vacation and thousands of dollars and am crafting like some sweat shop worker and nothing is happening.  GOD CAN’T YOU SEE ME?  WHEN AM I GONNA GET MINE?

These thoughts haunted me.  I have spent the past two night not sleeping, instead lying in bed, checking my email to see if I had any news from my case worker and simultaneously cursing God and his seemed incompetence.  Every now and then I’d have a lucent thought like “Maybe you should bathe tomorrow” or “God is for you and your kids.  You have not been forgotten.” or “Buy milk.”  

This morning in Jo-Ann's it was full on {warning: crazy churchy talk ahead} spiritual warfare.  I mean it.  It was a Gollum style war for my heart.

Voice 1:  At what point in this process do you just send out a big email and tell people that you were wrong and then start paying people back? 
Voice 2:  Be still and know that I am God.
Voice 1:  I can’t believe the family that sent their dossier over in January has already heard.  Your case worker hates you.  And I bet that family is totally lame.  I hope their visas get denied.
Voice 2:  Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.
Voice 1: It’s been three minutes since you checked your email.  Why aren’t you checking your email?
Voice 2:Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.
Voice 1:  No email.  God is punishing you because you thought you were supposed to adopt from China.
Voice 2:  For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba!  Father!”
Voice 1:  Abba!  Father!  I am mad at you.  I think your timing sucks.  Sorry for that, but I do.  Can’t you see that I am hurting?  Can’t you see me?  Can’t you see them?  Forgive me for thinking my timing is best.  Forgive me.  Forgive me.  Help me!  Help me!  How long must I wait?  How long?  Oooh!  Sharpies are 40% off!  It totally makes sense to buy 8 black sharpies.

My apologies to the lady at the register who had to check out the crazy crying lady with all of the sharpies. 

But folks, God has not forgotten us.  While sitting in carpool line for Henry, I got an email.  An email from our case worker {who most certainly does not hate us}.  WE HAVE MADE IT TO THE NEXT STEP IN OUR ADOPTION!  

In the Congolese court system, there are basically three steps:  court date, a written judgment, and a thirty day wait period before an official ACTE OF ADOPTION can be doled out.  We are now past step two.  We are in our thirty day wait period. {Also pray for us, because in theory, a family member could still come forward for them.}  And because it is basically the only certain time frame we will be sure of in this entire process, we are counting down the days.  


We told the kids that a judged said that Charles and Mollie were really and truly their brother and sister.  Henry ran around in circles screaming “HAVING A BROTHER IS AWESOME!”  Gracie jumped up and down on the couch {though to be fair, she does that a lot}.  Sloan and I drank Orange Soda and the kids had chocolate milk.  Then we set out to make a paper chain to count down our thirty days.  


This does NOT mean we will be traveling in a month.  We are still thinking summer.  There are still lots of steps in the process after we exit court.  Immigration.  But we are moving forward.  Inch by inch.  Loop by loop.

Charles and Mollie, just as Jesus has not left us, we will not leave you as orphans, we will come for you!

No comments: