Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sometimes the Cat in the Hat fixes things up

Remember when I thought that Henry killed our bathroom by putting a dixie cup in the toilet?  As it turns out, the erupting kitchen ceiling was NOT his fault.  (Sorry, Henry.)  If anything, having the plumber out when we did, saved us.  As it turned out, there was a leak in the wall behind the kids vanity and it had to be replumb.  So, we would've had to tear out the kitchen ceiling anyways.  And, of course, to get to the leak, we had to rip out the kids' vanity which was so waterlogged it was beyond repair.  (Not that you would've wanted to repair it.  It was builder grade faux wood circa 1978. With a snazzy puke green sink and countertop.  To match the floors.)

Yeah, I know.  Who redoes their bathroom when in the middle of a two-child adoption?  Well, first of all, this would be why the adoption account is separate from the savings account.   It's also just one of those things about home ownership.  We recently had to replace the siding on our house.  Which, of course, I felt bad about since we were fundraising.  But one of my friends said, "Um, replacing your siding is only more exciting than replacing your roof or hot water heater."  She later signed off her email, "Enjoy your fancy schmancy vinyl siding."  (I have really encouraging friends.  But sometimes I need to be made fun of.  Because I can be ridonkulous.)  We also realize that a move is somewhere in the not so distant future for us, so having a newer bathroom would've had to happen anyhow.  I was able to find things on ebay, at Lowe's, as well as a great reasonably priced handyman who can plumb, did the painting myself,  so it actually didn't break the bank.  (That said, to repaint the kitchen and kitchen ceiling, Sloan and I are giving each other painters for our anniversary.  Because we are nothing if not romantic.  So in case you are wondering, 8 years is painters.  If you're traditional.  For you modern folk, I think it's scuba gear.)

So without further ado...I give you the new and improved kids' bathroom.

Yes.  The walls of this bathroom are the same color as our front door.  I love me some Benjamin Moore Golden Honey.

My etsy wall art--Wash your hands and say your prayers because Jesus and Germs are everywhere.  Along with my Ebay Pottery Barn Dr. Suess stuff.


A toothbrush holder big enough for four kids.  And I painted tumblers so there would be no more dixie cup incidents.  (And yes, I picked up two extra for mes petits enfants.)

And there's the cat.  In all his cake eating the bath tub glory. 


No comments: