Wednesday, December 2, 2009

2 One months

Today it has been one month since Grace has been ours.  One month ago, we sat in the Bethany office in Richmond and signed papers confirming the great work God had done--Grace was ours and we were hers.  For keeps. 

When loopy from being tired with Henry, I crafted.  I made what has become known in some circles as "The Ambien Toy".  This time, when loopy from exhaustion with Gracie, I've written a poem. 

(There is part of me that wants to explain to you that writing poetry isn't my bag and beg you not to laugh.  But my 11th grade Creative Writing proffesor always told us never to begin a presentation of our work with the disclaimer "This isn't good."  Rather, he made us slap our desks and exclaim "Damn!  I'm good!"  And nothing makes you seem cooler to high schoolers than telling them to cuss in class.) 

I will simply explain that this came about when I was reflecting on our discussion of what to name our daughter.  We knew it needed to be something that accurately reflected God's heart towards us.  I proposed Mercy Margaret, Margaret Grace, and even, laughingly, Glory Grace.  (Margaret, thinking we'd use the nickname Meg, had always been our "after Emma" baby name.)   So, without further ado, I give you the poem I wrote for Grace.
Out of the darkness we prayed
for you.
Love ripped from our hearts.
A gaping grave.

We begged for Faith.
We needed Mercy.
Joy unnattainable.
Hope beyond our grasp.
Glory unfound.

But Grace. 
Sweet, surprising Grace.
Pouring down; spilling over.
Finding and filling our lowest points.
Lifting our heads.
Raising our voices.

And because the title is "2 one months", I will post Grace's one month "Pose with Baby P" pictures.

Sleeping Beauty.


Holla!


Oh, Mommy.  I can see why you sleep with this bear, Baby P. 
He is fantastic.  Maybe you could give this one to me and have Henry make you a new one?

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I love the poem, and I love the pictures. Just love them.

Once you finally start getting some good sleep, you know, roughly 5 hours or so a night, please, please put up one ridiculously long post with nothing but pictures of Henry and Grace.

I'm pretty sure I have baby fever, and those sweet pictures of Grace with that bear just aren't enough!

Janell Cowley said...

She is beautiful and the poem is perfect. Hugs!