Tuesday, September 22, 2009

When Henry grows up

I want him to love God. I want him to be kind. I want him to help others without having to be asked. I want him to learn that God has equipped him to do great things. I want him to set BIG goals and take the small steps necessary to achieve them. I want him to be willing to make sacrifices for the sake of others. Simply put, I want him to be a lot like his 13 year old cousin, my nephew and Godson, William.

This weekend, my nephew, along with my brother and sister-in-law, will be biking 150k to raise money and awareness for MS. My brother was diagnosed with MS when he was 17. Fortunately, through the grace of God, good meds, and great doctors, my brother Bill is healthy. Vibrant, even. In fact, I sometimes forget that Bill has MS. But all are not so fortunate.

William has been training for this event since the Spring. That means waking up at 5am three times a week to spin at the gym and going on long bike rides on the weekends. He's been volunteering at MS training events. He's been giving up sleep and time with friends to make this happen. And oh yeah, his goal is to raise $5000.

He only had to raise $200 to participate. He is 91% of the way to meeting his $5,000 goal. If everyone who reads this blog donated just $2, he would make his goal.

When my brother was diagnosed with MS, my parents were told that there would never be a cure nor would there probably be momentum to find a cure because not enough people had it for it to be a national concern. Thank you Annette Funicello, Terry Garr, Joan Didion, Squiggy, and Richard Pryor for pushing MS to the forefront of America's attention. Most of you know someone who has MS. And money raised for the MS society has and will continue to make a difference.

Please visit my nephew's site and donate.

No comments: