Thursday, September 3, 2009

beach grab bag and making new friends

So we're here at the beach. I love the fact that our days are so simple: breakfast, pack the cooler, go to beach for 5 or so hours, Henry takes the nap while Mommy and Daddy read or watch Bravo, go to pool, dinner, golf cart ride, then Mommy and Daddy watch a video from the red box from the Piggly Wiggly. Rinse. Repeat. (I am on my third book of the week, so yeah, I'm in heaven...)

Henry loves the beach. He also loves riding the golf cart. He sits between Sloan and me and slaps the steering wheel saying, "Beep Beep, aw, Toot, toot." Sloan is less than enthusiastic that I taught him this song. Oh well. He'll just have to wait until Football season is in full swing and I teach him Rocky Top. (Oh, btw, GOOOOOO GAMECOCKS!)

Henry has also developed the nastiest diaper rash. It even goes down his thighs. And yet, this does not seem to phase him or deter him from digging holes and then sitting in them, only to cover himself up. When we get home, he'll be going commando for a bit, but as for now, we're simply lubing him up with Lotrimin and Destitin.

Henry has also made a friend at the beach. A little boy who is three days younger than him--Gabe. Gabe is from the DC area and we've enjoyed collectively parenting the two boys, which basically has amounted to me and Gabe's mom (who is 6 months pregnant) sitting and chatting and the two dads running after the boys.

Henry's friendship with Gabe has me longing for the days when all you had to was walk up to someone and laugh and they'd hand you a shovel and then the two of you could just play for hours at a time. No games. No sucking in. No matter that your skin is different colors. And your only fights are over a dumptruck. (Thank goodness we brought H's dumptruck to the beach as well so we don't have to force them to share too much.) They shared snacks, toys, Dads, and beach chairs. It was truly one of those rare moments in life where you sit back and reflect this is what is all about.

This friendship of Henry's has been a blessing for me as well. I don't like meeting new people. I pretty much assume that if I don't know you, there is good reason for that. Mainly, it is that I don't do small talk. And that can intimidate people. But what a blessing that Gabe's Mom is actually an adoption case worker. So we got to talk adoption and pregnancy and nesting. I shared with her tips for transitioning to a big boy bed (as if I'm some sort of expert!) and she told me all about the kid friendly museums in DC. She also didn't look at me as though I was crazy when I shared with her my ideas for the nursery or regale me with her thoughts of me being noble because of adoption. We were just 2 women chatting about getting ready for our second child.

I am sad that we leave on Saturday, but thankful that Monday is also a holiday and so we'll have time to readjust to home before really having to enter the real world.

Oh and also, it should be noted that I am now sporting a rockin' tan. Seriously. And Sloan's Chaco "Z-tan" may just be the coolest thing I've ever seen.

No comments: