Thursday, July 30, 2009

The All New Adoption Experience. LIVE!

This afternoon, my wonderful mother-in-law is coming into town to take care of Henry while Sloan and I go on our 2 day Adoption Extravaganza. (Adoption Extravaganza is not its official title. Would also accept Adoptionpalooza, Adoption Festival, and Adoptionstock. No wait, I think they are calling it "training".)

I am very excited about Adoptionstock. We'll be hearing testimonies from birthmoms, adoptive parents, and adoptees. We'll be having break out sessions on how to tell your children about their adoption, preparing your profile, and I'm sure a bunch of other things that I'm not even aware of that I need to know.

In an effort to prepare for my MIL, I've straightened up the guest room that will become the nursery. I rearranged furniture. Bought those vacuum bags that store clothes and have begun to empty the closet. I set up the crib, only to discover that its spindles were loose and we needed a new crib. Pottery Barn graciously took the defective crib back, despite our having purchased it over 2 years ago, and will be replacing it in September when their new model of Sleigh cribs comes out. I ironed the bed skirt to Henry's crib bedding. I've selected a color that we are going to paint the room--Sherwin William's Lime Granita. I've pulled out the circus fabric we ordered when we bought the circus bedding and have begun to design the curtains. And I've picked out the coordinating rugs at Land of Nod and Pottery Barn that that will be purchased once gender is known. (And have already begun to rationalize getting that darling Elephant lamp at PB even though we've got lamps coming out our ears. Yard sale, anyone?)

Elizabethtown is expanding its territory. I even thought about parking in the expectant mom parking at the mall today. I mean, I am an expectant mom. They really should be more specific; what mom isn't expecting something?

I'm sure the Adoption Festival will be eye opening. I'll let you in on the 411 when we get back. Pray for Henry. And my mother-in-law. I'm getting ready to type up the four pages of instuctions I wrote up yesterday.

No comments: