Friday, October 10, 2008

I love a parade

So around 5:30 tonight I'm putting stuff in my car for a yard sale tomorrow at a friend's house and I see all of these people in our yard, cars lining our street, and people with kids and strollers and teenagers with their faces painted lining Smoketree Drive. Confused, I walked back into the house and said to Sloan, "turn off the grill. We're going outside. I think there is gonna be a parade or something." I definitely felt like I was in some sort of social experiment. Get a couple of people to stand outside and stare at the road and see if others would followed. I followed.


What a taste of America, people! For someone who grew up on a golf course and went to a school that didn't even have a football team, this was incredible. Like I'd died and gone to heaven. A high school parade, complete with floats, a marching band, and teens throwing candy. It was pretty awesome. Add this to one of the many reasons I LOVE MY NEIGHBORHOOD.

GO MONACAN CHIEFS! BEAT THE HUGUENOT FALCONS!!!
Henry watches the approaching marching band that we've been hearing practice every afternoon for the past couple of weeks. The neighbor's kid obviously thinks its a bit loud.
A high school marching band. I really wanted to clap along with them, but no one else was doing it and Sloan would've made fun of me.
Thanks to Nic Cannon, I love that drum line!
I swear--I thought parades like this only existed in Kevin Williamson movies. And Texas.
There were loads of floats. It was fun trying to guess the club. The artsy one depicting the 7 deadly sins--drama club. The truck with the awkward kids trying to look cool--glee club. The one with all the mythical gods--has to be Latin Club. The one with sombreros--Spanish club. The one with the kids hollering, with a giant sign reading "Monacan Maniacs!"--pep club.
Henry wonders where all the people with the candy are going. Too bad we didn't let him eat any of the bucket full of candy we got before going to dinner. Sloan and I need to check and make sure that none of the candy is poison. I'm on chocolate duty. The things I do for my son...

No comments: