Monday, August 25, 2008

No, it's not Danger. It's Marshall.

Henry surveys the fountain.
As Henry gets older, it is great to see his personality evolve. Like me, he is all about action never wanting to sit still, and yet, loving to sleep in. (Do any of your kids sleep until 8:45?) Like his father, he loves remotes and turning on and off the TV. Like me, he cannot stand to be told no and never hesitates to show his disappointment. Like his father, he thinks the only thing more tasty on earth than a hot dog is a hot dog infused with cheese.
But never more apparent has his burgeoning temperament been on display than when he is faced with something new. Sloan and I took him to the fountains at Stony Point Fashion Park. Let me first say that once again I was reminded that having a baby has made me stupid. I remembered his swim diapers, crocs, the camera, but forgot to bring a towel. So I ended up having to buy a towel at Restoration Hardware. I also forgot that maybe I should wear a bathing suit too. Oh well. It's just water, right?

I assumed that my little dare devil would be like me and see the spraying water and just run right in. He'd see danger, say "That's my middle name" and we'd never see him again. But he did not. Nor did he seem afraid of the water. Rather, he was daringly cautious. In fact, now that I think about it, he seemed very mature when posed with a new phenomena.
He circled the fountain. He checked out all of the children and their mothers who were parked on benches circling the fountain. He checked out how cool he looked in his crocs in the store windows. Then, slowly, he approached the fountain. On the perimeter, there are little squirts that barely shoot up. He bent down and put his little finger in it, it sprayed him. He backed up a bit, tilted his head to one side, and then proceeded to test all of the perimeter fountains. Then he saw that there were larger ones on the inside and that sometimes there was no water. He also noticed the lights in set in the ground and checked these out as well. And then every now and then I'd pick him up, put him in the water directly and without getting upset, he'd set back to his investigation. Sloan and I were about to pack up, thinking that he'll like it better when we bring him back with his cousins. We'd been there 30 minutes and though he'd investigated it, he didn't seem too into it. But then he started laughing. He'd bend down, put his hand in the spout, it would spray water and then he'd laugh. And then he was off. Running like Frankenstein through the water. He never ventured into the center where the lights and big fountains were, but enjoyed the fountain nevertheless. I am proud to say that maybe danger isn't Henry's middle name and that that is a good thing.

No comments: