Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sex in the Suburbs

This past weekend I headed down to the Queen city of Charlotte, NC for a girls weekend and to see my friend M's new baby, Caroline. It was a weekend of no husbands, no children, no cracked out puppies. It was awesome.

We spent much of the time discussing our men and our boobs (a la nursing); so really it wasn't that different than when we were in college. We lolled about in our pjs, drank wine, watched 'Sex in the City', ordered pizza, got pedicures. We even went out for ice cream.
But some things do change. Saturday night we had to make a mad dash to the grocery store. In college, it would've been for beer or cigarettes. This was for more batteries for a breast pump. So things have changed. And dressing up for going out simply meant you had to wear clothing that didn't have breast milk, formula, or poo on it. All in all, I think it is a pretty good idea to wear clothing sans bodily fluids. And when we used to not be caught dead going out before 11pm, we all felt odd heading to PF Chang's after seeing the 'Sex in the City' movie. We sat down for dinner at 9:30pm. We felt like New Yorkers and even ordered champagne. I even purposely wore bra straps you could see in honor of Carrie Bradshaw. (Can anyone tell me why we thought she looked so cool? After re watching the series in an effort to prepare for the movie, many a time I have asked, "What is she wearing?" Who wears a black bra with a white tank top. Or And was that really a bird on her head? Honey, the song lyrics are "Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder").


Oh, and did you know that everyone has a chandelier in their nursery? I was not aware of this. But according to M., it is a fact. Henry has a ceiling fan, which I am figuring is the male equivalent to the chandelier.
Also, does it make me shallow to comment on how all of my friends are good looking? Do I do this on purpose, or are they beautiful because I love them? No. No. Objectively, they are some fine looking ladies. So if you are my friend, be of good cheer. I don't have ugly friends.
Congratulations, you made the cut.

1 comment:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Oh, that looks like SO MUCH FUN!

Now I miss my girlfriends. Desperately.

I think it's time for a little Sex in the Suburbs here, too. Although I'd be fine with just the sex part.