Thursday, February 12, 2015

Slumber Parties and Sleep Stalkers

So when Sloan travels, I typically let one of the kids sleep with me on one of the nights.  We rotate weekly and everyone gets even turns.  They all know this. However, one child in particular gets bent out of shape on weeks it is not this child's turn.  Mostly this means extra books read at bedtime and the promise of morning snuggles.  

Last night, struggling with a cough, the bothered child chose to come into my room and glare at me for two hours.  Like face three inches from my head and nostrils flaring.  (Think super creepy and stalkery.) When not rubbing said child's back and assuring the child that the child was loved and cherished, I mostly tried to sleep through it.  Because seriously, I'm over this game.  I think at one point I said to the child, "If heavy breathing is all you got for me, I'm going back to sleep. I don't care if you stare at me."  This further infuriated the child but I just rolled over.  Because at 4am, I will not be held hostage by just a clenched jaw and scrunched face.

About thirty minutes later, after dreaming of Sloan and I being super spies (confession: sometimes the role of Sloan Phillips was played by Jeremy Renner), I heard a thud, a yelp, a scurry and then a slammed door.  I'd rolled over and inadvertently elbowed child in the face, causing the child to fall and then retreat to the child's room.  

Is it bad that I didn't pursue the child but smiled and returned to my dream where I was skinny and saving the world with Hawkeye?  I mean, my dress was fabulous and I could run in heels.  

No comments: