Friday, January 25, 2013

My son, the little monk

In as much as there is an eternal disco party surrounding Grace, there is an abundant gentleness about Henry. He is kind and uniquely tender. Sometimes I worry that when he goes off to school next year he will get made fun of because of it. The mother in me worries he will get beaten up for telling some kid to stop making fun of another child. But then there is another part of me, the sister in Christ, that is in awe to see the Spirit of God at work in my dear son's heart.

Today we headed off to Target to buy baking soda to bake the "Thanks for letting me sleep in until 9:30" cookies. On our way, we had to pull to the side of the road to let an ambulance and fire truck pass. With no prodding from me, Henry chirped, "Mom, we need to pray for the ambulance workers! And for the people they are going to help." So my 5 yr old led us in intercessory prayer for strangers.

Later in the day, I loaded some new books on tape for him to listen to at night onto his IPod, including the entirety of The Jesus Storybook Bible. He usually listens to Dr. Suess and then I turn it off before I go to bed. But as I tucked him in bed and propped his IPod into his speaker, he said, "Mom, can I listen to the Bible as I fall asleep?"

"Sure honey," I replied.

"But please don't turn it off. Let it play all night long. Because the Bible is God's word and I want to hear Him all night long. Even in my dreams."

Oh, to long to hear God's voice speaking to me at all times.

Thank you Jesus for a son and brother who points me to you. Continue to bear fruit in his little life. Give me the strength to stand back and let him be bold for your sake.

No comments: