Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Laughing at His affection

This is my current facebook status:

Sometimes God's goodness to me is kinda ridiculous. I don't mean to sound irreverent, but seriously, I've met me. And the God of the universe delighting in me is just. plain. hilarious. So if you see me laughing like a crazy person, it's because that's the sane response to His scandalous grace.

It's true, y'all.

Those who are blessed enough to know Henry, know that our boy is one affectionate child.  He tells me I'm beautiful usually 40 times a day.  He says it so often I've come to doubt he actually knows what the word means.  (Trust me, I am anything but beautiful after an hour on the elliptical.  I'm sweaty, red, and hangry.  Hangry = so hungry I'm angry.) 

Often Henry's first words to me in the morning are, "Mommy, you're beautiful.  I just love you so, so much."  He often kisses me so often its embarrassing.  I try to remember that in a decade I'll be missing all the cuddles and smooches.  But really, when I'm in the midst of cooking or cleaning or tagging yard sale items, it can be cumbersome to be hugged and kissed 37 times in the span of 20 minutes.  I confess that at times it takes all of my good mommy will power to hug and kiss him back and not say, "Henry, I know.  You just told me three minutes ago.  You're in my way; Mommy is trying to do something."

This is what our adoption journey has been and continues to be like.  God is just smothering us with affection.  To the point of claustrophobia. 

If you long to feel God's tight squeeze upon you, might I suggest you take the opportunity to boldly obey him in some small way.  Forgive your spouse that misspoke.  Love the unlovable.  Uphold the cause of the weak and oppressed.  Defend the poor.  Care for an orphan or a widow.  I guarantee that is where you will meet Him in a new and profound way.  You'll hear God's voice tell you "You're beautiful" and you can trust that He knows what it means.

No comments: