Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Real Conversation

To give you some context, two of my sister's kids are staying with us this week.  Her eldest son is the lead in CYT's Aladdin and four of her other kids are in the show as well.  So she's a little busy helping people fly and the like.  She asked me to babysit a couple of times, but really it's just easier if they stay here and I don't have to drive anywhere to get them...  And Henry adores them.  Jonathan (7) and Isabel (4) are his closest besties.  It's been fun.  Particularly since Sloan is out of town. 

But the following is a real conversation between my nephew and me the afternoon before we went to Kids' Club at church.

Jonathan:  I don't want to go to Kids Club.
Me:  Why?
Jonathan:  It's not fun.
Me:  I don't believe you.  Pastor Brown is almost as funny as your Uncle Sloan.  He even knows magic.
Jonathan:  Yeah....but....I don't have any friends there.
Me:  Really?  None?
Jonathan:  No. 
Me:  Is it because you are kinda new there?
Jonathan:  No.  It's just.... everybody hates me.
Me:  Everybody?
Jonathan:  (growing more whiny)  Yes.  Everybody hates me.
Me:  I doubt that everybody hates you.  Maybe a couple of people.  But not everybody...

He sulked away and proceeded to hide in a crawl through tunnel.  Five minutes passed of him just sulking in the tube.  So I went to him.

Me:  Jonathan, come out of the tunnel.  Let's talk about going to church tonight.  I think you should go, but I'm not going to force you.  But I think if you go, you'll have fun.
Jonathan:  (really, really whiny)Well...it's not that I don't like it.  I just want to go play in the playground at Chick-Fil-A.  Chick-Fil-A is more fun than Kids Club.
Me:  (roaring laughter)  Go put your shoes on.  We're going to church.

No comments: