Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Raindrops on Roses

So I’m channeling my inner Barney Stinson mocking Oprah as I say….MYYYYY FAVORITE THINGS!!!!

Also, in this fantasy, I’m able to share with you, dear reader, the things I love most.

(Let it be noted that I said, things. Not people. It should go without saying that my most favoritetest of all favorites are Sloan, Henry, and Gracie. In fact, that’s a saying here in the Philips’ house. Sloan first said it to me when we were dating. “You’re my favorite.” “Favorite what?” I asked. “Favorite everything…” So if you hear me tell Henry he’s my favorite, rest assured, Gracie is my favorite too. And what’s my most favorite? Being theirs…)

So here, in no certain order, are my favorite things…

1. The entire works of David Sedaris.
Sure, he’s a bit crass. But he’s Southern, honest, and once worked as a Christmas elf. One of the greatest compliments I’ve ever received was from my friend Rich who told me my writing reminded him of David Sedaris. And I received his new book for my birthday from Sloan. The inscription said, “He’s almost as funny as you…” Be still my heart.

2. Chick-Fil- A Spicy Chicken Sandwich with extra pickles.
If you ever tell me how many calories this has, I will kill you. But seriously, I love CFA. I love that it is all their pleasure, they have the only dipping sauces worth the risk of car spillage (Honey Mustard and Polynesian, please), family nights where Henry eats free, Peppermint Milk shakes (damn you! Laura with posting the calories on FB!), Purel wipes, and they are the only fast food restaurant to get that children need bendy straws.

3. The Jesus Storybook Bible, by Sally Lloyd-Jones.
Best children’s bible. Ever. Hands down. It has made me cry as it teaches my children and reminds me of God’s never ending, all rescuing, and unending love for us. I love it so much I asked that the money raised for Bethany from Grace’s birthday party be used to purchase these Bibles for the babies whose parents reinstate their parental rights. And props to the author who heard this and is working with the publisher to make this more feasible financially. My favorite is when it says at the end of the story of Noah’s ark in reference to the rainbow… “God’s strong anger against hate and sadness and death would come down once more—but not on his people, or his world. No. God’s war bow was not pointing down at his people. It was pointing up, into the heart of heaven.”
4. Motown
If you’ve been reading for awhile, then you’ve read about my love affair with Sam, Al, Diana, Lionel, Aretha, Gladys, Marvin, Smokey, Otis, and, in particular, a one Mr. Wonder. And, as of late,  Mr. Jerry Lawson and the Talk of the Town.

5. My DVR
It’s how Sloan and I can watch our shows together when he travels (and why I don’t get your Office references until Friday night). It’s how I always have a Thomas or Cat in the Hat episode on deck for the Pickle. It’s how I can watch last night’s The Sing Off finale whenever I want. (Who has two thumbs and had a Committed +Boys II Men Dance party this morning with her kids? Bob Kelso. No, I mean, me!)

6. Diet Dr. Pepper
The best part of waking up is DDP in my cup.

7. Wi-Fi and all things wireless
Because sometimes the only time a Momma gets to be alone with her internet is when she is on the potty and sometimes that’s also the only time she gets to print out that recipe for Crock Pot Beef Bourguignon.

8. The Crock Pot and my rice cooker
I’m not a super huge fan of cooking. Mainly, it’s the 5 o’clock “Oh! Crap! I’m the Mom and am supposed to be feeding these people” scramble that gets me. Enter the crock pot. Add meat. Add some type of liquid…soup, beer, wine, broth, all of the above, some spices. Enjoy aroma all afternoon. Then, help Henry pour some brown rice and water into the rice maker. Press button. Empty bag salad into bowl. BAM! Homecooked meal, y’all!

9. Bacon
To borrow a phrase from my high school friend Katie, simply put, Bacon is meat candy. Bacon, a team of doctors, Al Roker, and Ellen DeGeneres saved Henry’s life. If you think this is over reaching, I commend you to read the first several months of this blog. I kid you not, pork belly saved us all. And continues to do so…

10. My house…it’s a very very very fine house.
I love our big front porch and circular driveway. Even if they are littered with buckets, trucks, bikes, balls, and dirty shoes. I love my foyer and stairwell and how they are covered with photos ranging from my parents when my dad was in the army, to our honeymoon, to the four of us dressed up for Halloween. I love that my guest bathroom has all of our diplomas, baptism certificates, honor fraternity certificates, and random hunting licenses. I love my new lipstick red kitchen with its big, deep, farm sink. I love my living room that is wall to wall books. I love that there is a corner in the living room stocked with kids books and a big fluffy orange kid chair that Henry and Gracie fight over. I love that my family room and dining room are mirror images of one another in terms of paint color. In my family room hang two of my decopage paintings and in the dining room is an arrangement of all of the silver platters my Grandmother Johnson gave me over the years. I love Henry’s blue transportation room and Gracie’s pink and green birdy room. I love that everywhere I turn in my house I see those whom I love so dearly and there is not a place that isn’t kid proof. It’s not a museum. It’s a nest; a cocoon; a small picture of what I imagine heaven to be— a place where PJs are worn well past breakfast, shoes are optional, and there’s always a good tune on the stereo.

1 comment:

LauraDS6 said...

Sorry about the milkshake, but far be it from me to post any calorie information on your beloved Spicy Chicken. Cross my heart...