Tuesday, November 17, 2009

47

The number of laps around his room it took for Henry to "run" off his pee pee diaper tonight.  Having already commited to sitting on the floor, pajamas in hand, I was too tired to wrangle him.  This was after an afternoon where instead of a nap Henry ripped all of the pop-ups out of a book, emptied his humidifier onto the floor and proceeded to attempt a clean up (I'm assuming) by dumping his entire hamper of dirty clothes on top of it, and decorated his newly changed sheets with a tube of Desitin. 

But the good news is that I am so blissfully baby tired that I find all of this hilarious.  (Except the having to change the sheets again.)  But still, pretty darn funny and totally worth the hour of sleep I snuck in this afternoon while Grace napped.

Grace is doing well.  Since being home from the hospital, she has gained about a pound and a half.  I'm guessing this because last Wednesday, when I took Henry to the Dr for Croop, she had gained a pound.  She has begun to thicken up and I'm guessing that by Thanksgiving she'll have completely traded in her old man legs for yummy chunky Turkey thighs.  And her cheeks are beginning to fill out.  Everyone who meets her for the first time is amazed by how tiny she is.  But she's a beast compared to how she was when we first met her.  Probably because in true Phillips fashion, the girl likes the grub and is averaging 24 ounces of the high calorie formula a day. 

She is doing well with her meds and we hope to have her completely weaned off of the Methadone by December.  She has only had one rough night--this past Saturday night--where she was awake for around 6 hours, cranky, needing to be held, and too amped up to eat--which in turn made her franticly hungry.  Finally, around 3 am, I gave her .05 mL extra of the Methadone, which calmed her down enough to eat 5 ounces and then fall asleep.  I've never been more pissed about sin in the world as I was that night.

Other than driving me a bit bonkers, Henry is very sweet with Grace.  He enjoys rubbing her head, wiggiling her piggy toes (wee wee wee), teaching her her body parts (probably because I totally forgot to teach him where his nose was), and helping Mommy burp her.  He also is quick to cover her with a blanket whenever she cries.  I'm trying to teach him not to put the blanket on her face, but also recognize that he really is being quite sweet.  I do miss the just sitting around and holding your babyness that is having your first child.  I feel a bit guilty the amount Grace ends up in her swing, bouncy, or shoved into a sling across my chest.  But I suppose this is the nature of being the youngest.  Hey, I was the youngest in my family and I turned out...ok, maybe this is a problem.

 A note about why the blog posts are few and far between.  I try to only be on the computer either during naptime or at night when Sloan is out of town.  Well, I've been sleeping during Henry's naptime or simply cuddling Grace and tonight is the first night that Sloan has gone out of town for work.  There's also the knowledge that I am so very tired.  This morning I wore my bedroom slippers to bible study and while I led my small group in prayer, I was a total prayer hog.  This wasn't because I'm super spiritual, it was because I was afraid that if I didn't keep talking I'd totally fall asleep. 

Also, I tried uploading some extra photos, but blogger is doing something weird. I'll try again tomorrow for a photo only post while the Pickle is at preschool. 

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I look forward to all your updates and can't wait to see some pictures! So glad you're doing well, if not a little sleep-deprived. :)